Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Optimal skimmer / return placement

1. Back To Top    #1

Optimal skimmer / return placement

Hi,

How do you figure out optimal skimmer / return placement for a specific pool shape? Are there any calculators / simulation tools that will do that?

Thanks!
    28K IGP, AquaPure 1400 SWG, Inteliflow filtration, Inteliflow spa, pentair 1.5HP water feature pumps, pentair cartridge filter, 2.5 / 3" plumbing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Optimal skimmer / return placement

I don't think so. It seems up to builders and their experience. Our builder has quoted us two, but I am not sure it will be enough. It's pretty accepted that two will work on lots of free form shapes if the returns are ample in number and properly adjusted. I am skeptical as we will have lots, and lots of leaves to deal with.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I suggest you place one on the opposite side of the pool from whichever way you get the most wind from.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm having 2 skimmers installed, and I've read and agree with most of the general concepts, like placing down wind, etc... I was just hoping that perhaps this is something that's been solved a little bit more definitively... its been a while since I've looked at a fluid dynamics textbook, but from what I remember laminar flows aren't extremely complex to calculate. Granted there are many factors like wind velocity and surface friction of various plasters and salt vs no salt in the water, but all those should be relatively negligible, or can simply be a factor of a simulation... maybe a side project after the pool is actually done?
    28K IGP, AquaPure 1400 SWG, Inteliflow filtration, Inteliflow spa, pentair 1.5HP water feature pumps, pentair cartridge filter, 2.5 / 3" plumbing.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, sure, but it's way more thinking than I would have the ambition to follow up on. I'm more with woody type thinking on this. Down wind as much as possible.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd wondered about placing a kiddie pool with some leaves or lightweight toys in the yard to determine prevailing winds. Our existing 1975 pool has skimmers in all the wrong locations for the wind in our backyard - I don't know if they were installed according to builder's knowledge or what, but we're looking at an after-market venturi action leaf skimmer.
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

7. Back To Top    #7

Usually, we have prevailing wind from the SW. But all this summer long.......SE. First year in about 8 that my BBQ pit was in the wrong spot.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: