Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sealing threaded connections - what's the secret?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sealing threaded connections - what's the secret?

Ok, just redid my pump and filter connections, and everything went great, except that 2 of my 3 threaded fittings have a slow drip.

What's the secret here? I gave each 2-3 wraps of teflon tape, hand tightened, and then tightened some more. The ones on the filter appeared to be almost all the way in to the stop, but one is dripping and one isn't.

And maybe a better question is, there was no way for me to tell beforehand...how do the pros deal with this afterwards?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sealing threaded connections - what's the secret?

I use PVC thread sealant on all my threaded connections. You can get at any hardware store.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If the pipes are 1.5 inch or larger, thread sealant seems to do a bit beter job. Clean off ALL the teflon if you decide to redo them
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

A plumber friend of mine says you can never use too much PTFE (Teflon) tape, 2-3 wraps is just the beginning!
    Steven
    18.5k US gallon/69kl IG tiled with an Onga Pantera 25" sand filter, powered by a Davey Silensor 200 1HP/0.75kW pump coupled to a Zodiac TRi (mid) SWG K-2006C Test kit imported from the USA...
    in Adelaide, Australia...

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by AdelaidePooler
    A plumber friend of mine says you can never use too much PTFE (Teflon) tape, 2-3 wraps is just the beginning!
    You can on plastic pipe, especially smaller stuff.

I agree with Dave above, use thread sealer like Rector-Seal. It can be messy, but it works incredibly well.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by AdelaidePooler
    Gotta be real careful with a lot of wraps of Teflon tape. I've seen cracked fittings because of that.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Right, so, no option but to cut the nearest straight section of pipe and try, try again - correct? (unfortunately I already did that once, still a leaker and I don't think I have enough space for another coupler!)

8. Back To Top    #8

not enough wraps. 4-5 wraps and use the Pink colored teflon tape. Make sure you wrap it the right direction too.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Do not use teflon tape on PVC threaded fittings.....the fittings manufacturers don't want you doing that. It will work in a pinch, but absolutely no more than 3 wraps.

Preferably use a thread sealant paste, which is manufacturer recommended.

PVC threads are a molded taper, as opposed to steel pipe with machined threads which take away some of the pipe material. If you add solid material like tape it the male fitting can act like a splitting maul when tightened.

Also use the "oil filter" rule on PVC threaded fittings.....hand tighten, and then no more than 1/2 a turn or so.

I've only used a wrench on PVC fittings for disassembly, never for assembly and utilizing thread sealant.

Search "thread sealant" at the Home Depot site, or just get it from your local hardware store.

The fittings manufactures also say not to use teflon paste, which has chunks of teflon in it, although it will work pretty well.......

Again, never use tape unless it's all you've got handy for an emergency repair, and if you do use it "less is more"....
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

A plumber friend of mine says you can never use too much PTFE
    Your plumber friend must've been hit on the head by a pipe wrench falling off the truck! Too much tape and the pipe either cracks or doesn't thread and/or seat properly.

This discussion has been on the forum before and I am surprised at the wide variety of suggestions. 2-3 turns should be perfectly adequate BUT, having done it about every way you can (including some incorrect), I would not use it on pipes larger than 1 inch.

Thread sealant will make a better joint on the large pipes. You can actually "feel" it seating better with thread sealant, I think.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree, you can absolutely put too much tape and crack a fitting. Done it more than once and I'll say again....Rector Seal is a champ.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, I get the message on the rectorseal, I'll check it out. I actually may have a can of their "t plus 2" stuff around here somewhere, that looks very familiar.

On the Teflon tape - for the record - 2-3 wraps of it was specifically what was recommended by the Hayward Filter manual. As a couple people noted, I didn't want to go overboard for fear of cracking. I think I'll leave it be until I replace the pump, it's a slow drip but frustrating.

13. Back To Top    #13

When you replace the pump, be sure and do unions on both sides so that you can deal with these issues easier in the future.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Your plumber friend must've been hit on the head by a pipe wrench falling off the truck! Too much tape and the pipe either cracks or doesn't thread and/or seat properly.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I have used fair amounts of PTFE (like 5 wraps) on PVC joints before and had no issues.
    He was working with my central heating at the time, and those pipes aren't PVC so in retrospect that was probably a general comment of his, and most likely exagerrating, he was wont to do that, on occasion.
    I say was as he was actually killed by complications after a blow to the head... although not by a pipe wrench!

He also ran the local plumbers merchants and so had a vested interest in selling PTFE tape (and more PVC fittings when they cracked, probably!)
    Steven
    18.5k US gallon/69kl IG tiled with an Onga Pantera 25" sand filter, powered by a Davey Silensor 200 1HP/0.75kW pump coupled to a Zodiac TRi (mid) SWG K-2006C Test kit imported from the USA...
    in Adelaide, Australia...

15. Back To Top    #15

Just to clarify....on metal to metal threaded connections liberal use of teflon tape is just fine......just avoid use on plastic threads!

I still prefer sealant paste even on metal to metal....the gunk flows to the voids in threads better.....
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I use the tape and a bead of silicone.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    I use the tape and a bead of silicone.
    Silicone on the threads?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

yup, right over the teflon. works every time!