Possibly buying a "short sale" house with a green IG pool

Kamil

Nov 2, 2013
Lancaster, PA
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. We are in the process of buying a house that it a short sale. There is an IG pool that has not been maintained for probably a year. I want to close it so that the skimmers and other equipment do not get damaged over winter. The pump works, I was able to drain some of the water down to around the bottom of the skimmers. Now I was thinking about lowering the water by another 4" and vacuuming some of the water out of the skimmers. Then dump some anti freeze into the skimmers and finally plug them. I will also put 2 liter soda bottles filled with sand into the skimmers so if the water does freeze in them, the ice will not damage the skimmers. I will also drain the pump assembly and the sand filter by removing the drain plugs. I figured I would wait until the spring to clean the pool and do the water chemistry. Right now we are waiting on the seller bank to see if they accept our offer. So I don't want to spend a lot of money if we don't buy the house. On the on the otherhand, I don't want the pool to get damaged if we do get the house. Oh yeah... another issue... the previous owners had a leak in one of the return pipes so they plugged it and connected a by-pass pipe that runs from the filter outlet down to the ground (on top of the ground) then across the deck and into the pool. That is the only return line at this point. They said it was a lot cheaper to do this instead of having the concrete and ground dug up and fix the original problem. I see how it would be expensive. They did say that the pool is fine with the way this new pipe is connected. I personally think that it needs to be fixed... but that's something I might do down the road. Please let me know if this will be enough for now. Like I said, if we get the house I plan on doing much more and get this pool cleaned up. (Pool info in my sig)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.