Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me pool with a home

1. Back To Top    #1

New to me pool with a home

This week I closed on my new pool with a house that we will sleep in. I've never maintained a pool, but I've been reading the forums/Pool School and decided that I even as a noob, will be able to handle it! I ordered my TF-100, received it after two days and attempted my first measurements. Since we haven't moved in, and I don't have tools available, I didn't cut the top of the CYA bottle, DOH, so I don't have that measurement. I'll fix that pesky top of the bottle problem tomorrow and know more.

I also noticed that the pool's SWG has an Error 94, which is probably the kiss of death for the SWG, and I found a bucket of tabs and a carboy of Chlorine in a shed. So my expectation is that the SWG is dead, and has been for a while.

But anyhow, here are the measurements:

FC = 0
    CC = 0
    TA = 130
    CH = 260
    CYA = ????
    SALT = 3080

Interested to know any thoughts on where to start.
    14,500 Gallon kidney shaped in-ground vinyl, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus - 420, Circupool SI40+, 150 fpm - 1HP, Polaris Vac-Sweep 280, TF-100 Test Kit, Hydro Spa Lexxus 225 gallon spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to me pool with a home

Well I am also a newbie but here is my 2 cents,

Your FC is too low go to the following page and read about how to increase your FC and how to calculate things using the pool calculator

pool-school/recommended_levels

pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

The pool calculator may seem complicated but you just out your current value in one column and the desired value in the other one besides it, plug in your other readings and read how much of what chemical you need to add.
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Sand Filter Pentair Titan II
    Pentair Whisperflo single speed pump WFE 4 (1 HP)
    Built in 2005
    SWG equiped, Zodiac LM2-24
    CH 340, PH 7.8, FC 8.5, TA 90, CYA 80, SALT 4000, CC 0

3. Back To Top    #3

You definitely want to get some chlorine in there. Since you don't know the CYA level, adding liquid chlorine (bleach) is the better way to go for now. Did you measure the pH?
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

4. Back To Top    #4

Check your CYA and pH as soon as possible. You won't know how much chlorine you need until you know the CYA level.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I remembered a knife to cut the end off the CYA bottle, so I collected a pool sample and a tap sample as well as a baseline. I tried cycling the power on the SWG, which looked like it was going to operate correctly at first, then after a couple of minutes, the error 94 comes back in. I didn't have time to troubleshoot it, but that is what the homeowners warranty will be for, since the pool and salt system are covered.

Anyhow, for the test results

Pool
    FC - 0
    CC - 0
    pH - 8.2
    TA - 130
    CH - 300
    CYA - 0

Tap
    FC - .5
    CC - .5
    pH - 6.8
    TA - 40
    CH - 60
    CYA - 0

My thought is to get some chlorine in the pool ASAP , just need to pick up a measuring cup first. There is just this thing of a house that really needs a coat of paint and new flooring inside, and a job to pay for it. It will also be easier to care for once we are living there.
    14,500 Gallon kidney shaped in-ground vinyl, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus - 420, Circupool SI40+, 150 fpm - 1HP, Polaris Vac-Sweep 280, TF-100 Test Kit, Hydro Spa Lexxus 225 gallon spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

Doublecheck that CYA test. If there's a bucket of tabs, it seems unlikely that CYA is really zero. The good news is, if CYA really is that low - and anything below 30 is going to show up as zero, don't forget - you have the tabs to bring it up as you chlorinate. Use a floater, don't just drop them in the strainer basket.

And chlorine is a range, so you don't need to be too precise. Don't wait until you have a measuring cup. Any implement - even an empty Big Gulp cup - will work to get the chlorine from the carboy to the pool. It's soooo much easier to keep algae away than it is to get rid of it once it gets a grip.

pH also needs to be adjusted. The good news is, you will see results fairly quickly with that one. The tester only reads to 8.2, so it might be even higher than that, so don't be alarmed if you dose it to bring it own from 8.2 to 7.5 and it still reads 8.0 or better. Adjust pH, let it circulate half an hour, maybe help it mix with a little brushing, and recheck it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

The "floater" is doing a great job with nothing in it but it floats like it should . I'll add some tabs along with the chlorine. I can probably get away with doing it right after my time at the office, that way she who runs the house won't complain if I am spending time on the pool instead of doing something else that needs to be done.

I'm also thinking that I need to spend some time cleaning the filters. The former owners said that they were recently cleaned, but the pressure on the filter was 3 psi higher than when we visited the house a second time before making an offer. It was at 5 PSI, tonight it was at 8. It almost looks like they might have put the pool on autopilot after the offer was made. Not to mention, there were plenty of pine needles and some various palm leaves in it. I got most of the junk out, cleaned the pump and strainer baskets. Adding to the fun, they must have emptied out some flower pots that had styrofoam in them, and that is floating around as well.

8. Back To Top    #8

I added the recommended 70 oz of liquid 10.5% early this morning then headed to work. I had the wife check it when she got there this afternoon, and just with the quick test she saw about .5-1%. I went over this evening and added about 50 oz more and after about 45 minutes, here are the results:

FC - 5
    CC - 0
    PH - 8.2 +
    TA - 140
    CH - 280
    CYA - 0, I got some 3" pucks, put them in the floater.

Should I pick up some muriatic acid to start lowering the pH, or give it a few days to let the pucks release some CYA?

9. Back To Top    #9

Good on you for understanding what CYA will do to your pH. That said, higher than 8.2 is too high. Aim for 7.8, and like Richard said, dont be surprised if it takes a few additions of acid to get it down there.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm gonna chime in here with a different idea to raise your CYA. I myself HATE the idea of using pucks to raise your CYA level from 0. You're only going to raise your CYA level by 2 or so with each puck. To me the liquid chlorine you're adding in is mostly being consumed by the sun while you're attempting to raise your CYA level with the pucks. If it were me, I would add enough pure CYA in granular form to get at least a 30ppm starting point. Then if you wish use the tabs to hit your end goal. A 30ppm level will provide you with a TON of assistance in keeping your chlorine from being consumed by the sun, and really won't break the bank.

As a side note.......a FC level of 5 with a 0 CYA level is wayyyyyyyy overkill. Until your raise your CYA level to around 20 I'd aim more for a 2ppm mark. Anything more risks damaging swimsuits, hair, skin and liners.

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree with Leebo. Get the CYA up to 30ppm immediately and then you can use puck to slowly continue to raise it if so desired.

And certainly lower the pH into the 7s with muriatic acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I added 3 lbs. of CYA/Stabilizer and after swirling it around with the brush for about 20 minutes, I added 24 oz. of 31.45% Muriatic acid. I did find it pretty amazing that the pool digested/lost a lot of chlorine (from 5 to 1) in 24 hours. I should have probably added some chlorine, but with the CYA gone, I figure there is going to be an exodus of chlorine still. Hopefully I will get some CYA readings in the next couple of days, and start having somewhat normal water.

No one has gotten into the water yet, just because I don't like the pH and Alkalinity being so high, not to mention, the gulf water is warmer than the pool at this point.

Todays measurements:
    FC - 1
    CC - 0
    pH - 8.2
    TA - 120
    CH - 250
    CYA - 0

13. Back To Top    #13

Please review the recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School. That was not the proper and safe way to add CYA to the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Good...... For now assume your CYA is 30 and keep your FC between 2-6ppm. You'll notice a large decline in the amount of chlorine you'll use at this point.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Please review the recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School. That was not the proper and safe way to add CYA to the water.
    Hmmm, errr, ooops

I'm a noob, not afraid to admit it. Once that has circulated for a few more days and the CYA seems to be level, I will do it the proper way.

16. Back To Top    #16

Added 20 oz of chlorine around noon, and at 5 PM, my measurements:

FC - 2
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 110
    CH - 250
    CYA - 10 - 15 ( General Estimate, as the dot started disappearing around 30, but was close to being gone with the tube full).

There is still a bit of the CYA powder on the floor, which I moved around with the brush again ( next time I will do the sock thing ). I'll get the parts to build an aerator in the next couple of days to start lowering the TA, since the pH is looking better. What is a good recommendation for CH? The pool calc says 50 to 300 so I am within the range, just looking for a recommendation.
    Also, I ordered a Circupool SI-40 Plus this afternoon, so I will have that project coming up as well as cartridge cleaning/replacement.

The water is looking much better, which is a good sign!

17. Back To Top    #17

Low CH does not matter in a vinyl pool.

Keep brushing that CYA around. It is acidic and may be fading your liner where it sits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Don't worry about your TA either. It's not that bad. In time your PH will creep up on its own, and lowering that will in turn take care of lowering your TA. Save your cash, and don't worry about that "issue" for now.

19. Back To Top    #19

OK, kind of stoked on the latest chemistry results, ready for the SWG to get in on Monday. Now to spend some time with the filter to get it cleaned out, then vacuum, then probably clean the filter again since there is so much dirt on the bottom.

CC - 4
    FC - 0
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 100
    CH - 260
    CYA - 40

Thanks for the guidance, and once I get the bottom of the pool looking good, I'll post some pictures. I heard that is the payment system around here.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Outofbounds
    CC - 4
    FC - 0
    These numbers are switched correct?? If not there's a huge warning sign of a problem.

We do like pictures............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast