New to me pool with a home

Outofbounds

Oct 8, 2013
Gulf Breeze, FL
This week I closed on my new pool with a house that we will sleep in. I've never maintained a pool, but I've been reading the forums/Pool School and decided that I even as a noob, will be able to handle it! I ordered my TF-100, received it after two days and attempted my first measurements. Since we haven't moved in, and I don't have tools available, I didn't cut the top of the CYA bottle, DOH, so I don't have that measurement. :oops: I'll fix that pesky top of the bottle problem tomorrow and know more. :)

I also noticed that the pool's SWG has an Error 94, which is probably the kiss of death for the SWG, and I found a bucket of tabs and a carboy of Chlorine in a shed. So my expectation is that the SWG is dead, and has been for a while. :rant:

But anyhow, here are the measurements:

FC = 0
CC = 0
TA = 130
CH = 260
CYA = ????
SALT = 3080

Interested to know any thoughts on where to start.

Well I am also a newbie but here is my 2 cents,

Your FC is too low go to the following page and read about how to increase your FC and how to calculate things using the pool calculator

pool-school/recommended_levels

pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

The pool calculator may seem complicated but you just out your current value in one column and the desired value in the other one besides it, plug in your other readings and read how much of what chemical you need to add.

You definitely want to get some chlorine in there. Since you don't know the CYA level, adding liquid chlorine (bleach) is the better way to go for now. Did you measure the pH?

I remembered a knife to cut the end off the CYA bottle, so I collected a pool sample and a tap sample as well as a baseline. I tried cycling the power on the SWG, which looked like it was going to operate correctly at first, then after a couple of minutes, the error 94 comes back in. I didn't have time to troubleshoot it, but that is what the homeowners warranty will be for, since the pool and salt system are covered.

Anyhow, for the test results

Pool
FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 8.2
TA - 130
CH - 300
CYA - 0

Tap
FC - .5
CC - .5
pH - 6.8
TA - 40
CH - 60
CYA - 0

My thought is to get some chlorine in the pool ASAP :shock: , just need to pick up a measuring cup first. There is just this thing of a house that really needs a coat of paint and new flooring inside, and a job to pay for it. It will also be easier to care for once we are living there. :)

Welcome! :wave:

Doublecheck that CYA test. If there's a bucket of tabs, it seems unlikely that CYA is really zero. The good news is, if CYA really is that low - and anything below 30 is going to show up as zero, don't forget - you have the tabs to bring it up as you chlorinate. Use a floater, don't just drop them in the strainer basket.

And chlorine is a range, so you don't need to be too precise. Don't wait until you have a measuring cup. Any implement - even an empty Big Gulp cup - will work to get the chlorine from the carboy to the pool. It's soooo much easier to keep algae away than it is to get rid of it once it gets a grip.

pH also needs to be adjusted. The good news is, you will see results fairly quickly with that one. The tester only reads to 8.2, so it might be even higher than that, so don't be alarmed if you dose it to bring it own from 8.2 to 7.5 and it still reads 8.0 or better. Adjust pH, let it circulate half an hour, maybe help it mix with a little brushing, and recheck it.

The "floater" is doing a great job with nothing in it but it floats like it should :hammer:. I'll add some tabs along with the chlorine. I can probably get away with doing it right after my time at the office, that way she who runs the house won't complain if I am spending time on the pool instead of doing something else that needs to be done.

I'm also thinking that I need to spend some time cleaning the filters. The former owners said that they were recently cleaned, but the pressure on the filter was 3 psi higher than when we visited the house a second time before making an offer. It was at 5 PSI, tonight it was at 8. It almost looks like they might have put the pool on autopilot after the offer was made. Not to mention, there were plenty of pine needles and some various palm leaves in it. I got most of the junk out, cleaned the pump and strainer baskets. Adding to the fun, they must have emptied out some flower pots that had styrofoam in them, and that is floating around as well.

I added the recommended 70 oz of liquid 10.5% early this morning then headed to work. I had the wife check it when she got there this afternoon, and just with the quick test she saw about .5-1%. I went over this evening and added about 50 oz more and after about 45 minutes, here are the results:

FC - 5
CC - 0
PH - 8.2 +
TA - 140
CH - 280
CYA - 0, I got some 3" pucks, put them in the floater.

Should I pick up some muriatic acid to start lowering the pH, or give it a few days to let the pucks release some CYA?

I'm gonna chime in here with a different idea to raise your CYA. I myself HATE the idea of using pucks to raise your CYA level from 0. You're only going to raise your CYA level by 2 or so with each puck. To me the liquid chlorine you're adding in is mostly being consumed by the sun while you're attempting to raise your CYA level with the pucks. If it were me, I would add enough pure CYA in granular form to get at least a 30ppm starting point. Then if you wish use the tabs to hit your end goal. A 30ppm level will provide you with a TON of assistance in keeping your chlorine from being consumed by the sun, and really won't break the bank.

As a side note.......a FC level of 5 with a 0 CYA level is wayyyyyyyy overkill. Until your raise your CYA level to around 20 I'd aim more for a 2ppm mark. Anything more risks damaging swimsuits, hair, skin and liners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with Leebo. Get the CYA up to 30ppm immediately and then you can use puck to slowly continue to raise it if so desired.

And certainly lower the pH into the 7s with muriatic acid.

I added 3 lbs. of CYA/Stabilizer and after swirling it around with the brush for about 20 minutes, I added 24 oz. of 31.45% Muriatic acid. I did find it pretty amazing that the pool digested/lost a lot of chlorine (from 5 to 1) in 24 hours. I should have probably added some chlorine, but with the CYA gone, I figure there is going to be an exodus of chlorine still. Hopefully I will get some CYA readings in the next couple of days, and start having somewhat normal water.

No one has gotten into the water yet, just because I don't like the pH and Alkalinity being so high, not to mention, the gulf water is warmer than the pool at this point. :)

Todays measurements:
FC - 1
CC - 0
pH - 8.2
TA - 120
CH - 250
CYA - 0

Good...... For now assume your CYA is 30 and keep your FC between 2-6ppm. You'll notice a large decline in the amount of chlorine you'll use at this point.

Added 20 oz of chlorine around noon, and at 5 PM, my measurements:

FC - 2
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 110
CH - 250
CYA - 10 - 15 ( General Estimate, as the dot started disappearing around 30, but was close to being gone with the tube full).

There is still a bit of the CYA powder on the floor, which I moved around with the brush again ( next time I will do the sock thing ). I'll get the parts to build an aerator in the next couple of days to start lowering the TA, since the pH is looking better. What is a good recommendation for CH? The pool calc says 50 to 300 so I am within the range, just looking for a recommendation.
Also, I ordered a Circupool SI-40 Plus this afternoon, so I will have that project coming up as well as cartridge cleaning/replacement.

The water is looking much better, which is a good sign!

Don't worry about your TA either. It's not that bad. In time your PH will creep up on its own, and lowering that will in turn take care of lowering your TA. Save your cash, and don't worry about that "issue" for now.

OK, kind of stoked on the latest chemistry results, ready for the SWG to get in on Monday. Now to spend some time with the filter to get it cleaned out, then vacuum, then probably clean the filter again since there is so much dirt on the bottom.

CC - 4
FC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 100
CH - 260
CYA - 40

Thanks for the guidance, and once I get the bottom of the pool looking good, I'll post some pictures. I heard that is the payment system around here. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.