BB code is disabled for me.

Matt

Jun 4, 2008
EDIT - This does not belong in The News - moved to Technical Issues

I did not deliberately turn off bbcode, nor do I see a button/checkbox to do so (or to turn it back on). Odd. It does say BBCode is OFF in the bottom left of the post area, but I can't see how to turn it on. I know I had it on before. I'll try to disable it and re-enable it in my profile.

EDIT: Turning it off and back on did not work... if there's anything you can do Jason, I would appreciate it. I'm stumped. If it's just me that this is happening to, we should continue this in pm's rather than derailing the thread.

Re: ***Why TFP was down today and what you need to know***

Thanks for the suggestion Joyce... I tried the edit, and it still says "BBCode OFF" and there is no option to turn it on... unless I'm missing something obvious. I did confirm that my profile has BBCode enabled by default.

Matt, I'm not sure why (yet) that for some people the bb code and quote are defaulted to do not use, HOWEVER, when I pull up your post to edit I see that both of those boxes are checked to disable.

When you post, look just below the message box and make sure that the first 2 boxes are not checked.

ETA - Check now. I think the problem should be corrected. Please let me know.

SeanB said:
PS - nice site VE, how long have you been running?
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment! :)

About five years now. There was another person doing it with me when it first got started, but she got bored with it and left it to me. I've now registered it as a business, and it's finally starting to pull in some money via advertising in the last 18 months or so and pay for itself with a bit left over......which is nice, since it's on two servers now. :p

Nope, problem not fixed. I have these two boxes only:

Do not automatically parse URLs
Notify me when a reply is posted

There is no box related to bbcode at all...

When I edit, same deal.

In pm's, bbcode works (or at least it says it's on by default, and I sent one to Joyce and I believe it worked).

It says this on the left:

Options:
BBCode is OFF

However, there is nothing I can do to turn it on.

I see the same thing. Only two options, nothing about bbcode.

This is what happens when I use bbcode tags:
This text is between quote tags.
This text is between bold tags.

If you want I can send screenshots to your email.

This is Sean. I'm testing a dummy account to try and replicate the problem.

Right off the bat, I see that I DO have the options to disable bbcode and disable smiles, and by defualt, as they should be with all registered users, they are enabled.

testing bold

testing a quote

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt, still Sean here...

If it is still not working for you, then go into your User Control Panel, then your profile, then Board preferences
» Edit posting defaults - and make sure you do not have it disabled here.

Please report back.

Sean

Enable BBCode by default:
Enable smilies by default:
Attach my signature by default:
Notify me upon replies by default:

I have all of those options set to be enabled, yet none of them are working for me, with the exception of the notifications.

VaEquestrian said:
Enable BBCode by default:
Enable smilies by default:
Attach my signature by default:
Notify me upon replies by default:

I have all of those options set to be enabled, yet none of them are working for me, with the exception of the notifications.

Okay, the signature is there now......and am testing the quote function.

Cannot see anyone's avatar, though.

*edited to add*.........the quote seems to be working now. :)

SeanB said:
Thank God! Did you change anything on your end?
I changed all the options to disable, saved it, then went back and changed all the options to endabled, and saved it. A few minutes later (which is typical of forum options), the sig and the quote function (bbcode) started working.

The avatars and smilies are all in the same file which for some reason is not being read, and fingers crossed, will be fixed by tomorrow.

Ah, well, then, it's not just me. :) Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.