Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: copper flakes coming from heater

1. Back To Top    #1

copper flakes coming from heater

I am getting a lot of small what appear to be copper flakes coming out of my heater and then into the pool. I figured this may be my heat exchanger going bad so I bought a new one and installed it. Same problem still. Any ideas?
    Heater is a Sta-Rite max-e-therm 400,000 btu
    ph level is kept a 7.70 via autopilot total control system.[attachment=0:2jaqo392]copper flakes.jpg[/attachment:2jaqo392]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21,000 gal Fiberglass (Indoor)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: copper flakes coming from heater

Do you have any copper pipes in the pool plumbing?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

None

4. Back To Top    #4

I would have thought it might have been the heat exchanger as well, but since you replaced the heater and it still is happening then clearly it's coming from somewhere else. Do you have a saltwater chlorine generator or a copper ionization system? I'm just thinking of other metal parts you might have that could wear and break apart.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I definately think it's the heater.... just can't figure out how/where/why. Below is my set-up, pump, filter, heater, salt generator, pool return lines. Right after the water exits the heater it goes through a screen strainer and that is catching the flakes. This is why it must be coming from the heater.

fyi, the autopilot total control is only being used to control the PH. I had switch back to regular water because the salt water was eating my aluminum auto cover parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

I wonder if they are just residual flakes from before you replaced the exchanger, that are now working themselves loose from wherever they got stuck...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If there are no more remaining copper parts in your system, MITS's explanation makes perfect sense.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

the picture you uploaded, is this inside a room?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes. It's an indoor pool and that's my mechanical room.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Not to get off subject, but do you have the heater exhausting to the outside?

My guess is that some of the flakes you are seeing since the replacement are residuals that have been floating around somewhere.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

11. Back To Top    #11

Yep, the exhaust is piped to the exterior