Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rasberry crazy ants

1. Back To Top    #1
    Labelle, TX

Rasberry crazy ants

Well I have seen it on the news but this is my first experience with these little critters. I had a GFCI that would not reset by my pad the other day. We had a lot of rain the last couple of days so I have been putting troubleshooting off. Well today I noticed the breaker tripped. Instant fault when it was reset. I pulled the GFCI and could smell that it was burnt. New GFCI and a reset and all is good. My OCD and curious side kicked in and this is what I found.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

2. Back To Top    #2

Central Valley California

Re: Rasberry crazy ants

I hate those guys. Have a bunch of them here too.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Cochranville, PA

Re: Rasberry crazy ants

I am in pest control in the north east. We use a material that contains Fipronil as the active ingredient. It is the best. They sell it in many different forms(gels, granules, bait stations, and concentrates). Many of the products are not labeled for your type of ant but in 2008 the FDA approved it for use on Rasberry crazy ants. PROPERLY AND CAREFULLY applied gels would work well inside devices. What I like to do is lay a concrete block in the area, and come back in a few days. When you lift the block you usually see tons of ants. You can apply the material to there. If you are using a spray you don't want to drown them. They need to live so they can take the material back to the colony.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.