Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intermatic Timer Fried

1. Back To Top    #1

Intermatic Timer Fried

My pool guy called and said my pump wouldnt start and wires looked fried at the timer. Everything has been working fine and the timer was only a year old. I think he shorted it with wet fingers and the water touching the eldctrical when he went to turn the timer on.

Is there anyway to salvage this or do I need a new timer

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Intermatic Timer Fried

Well it looks pretty cooked to me. Is the screw missing at that blackened terminal?

You might try the intermatic website to see if you can replace just that panel that holds the terminals in place but that wouldn't help you if the mechanicals of the timer got fried, too.

I think I would just replace the whole thing.....perhaps leaving the outer body of the timer in place and replacing the innards. YOu may be able to order just the timer and not have to repurchase the body. Check out the intermatic website.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by poolrookie22
    I think he shorted it with wet fingers and the water touching the eldctrical when he went to turn the timer on.
    You could spray the panel with a hose and not cause the damage shown. Damage was likely from an overheated connection (loose screw) and took a long time to get to the point where it burned as it eventually did. Don't presume this was caused by the pool guy.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

The intermatic timer unit only is easily replaceable. Looks like you'll also have to replace the pig tails. Big box stores have the timer unit for about $40, but can be found cheaper on ebay.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Well it looks pretty cooked to me. Is the screw missing at that blackened terminal?

You might try the intermatic website to see if you can replace just that panel that holds the terminals in place but that wouldn't help you if the mechanicals of the timer got fried, too.

I think I would just replace the whole thing.....perhaps leaving the outer body of the timer in place and replacing the innards. YOu may be able to order just the timer and not have to repurchase the body. Check out the intermatic website.
    The screw isn't missing I took it out. What I don't understand is how all of a sudden there was a loose connection/loose screw when nothing has been touched. The timer clock itself was still working when I got home prior to me turning off the breaker and unscrewing the screw. Maybe I can just pigtail on new wire and put the screw back in and it could possibly work?

6. Back To Top    #6

I wouldn't do that. It looks like the contact is gone/shot. It really is only 15 minutes to swap out the mechanism and reconnect the wires.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    The intermatic timer unit only is easily replaceable. Looks like you'll also have to replace the pig tails. Big box stores have the timer unit for about $40, but can be found cheaper on ebay.
    Where do you see that? I have a T104p3 and cannot find it in this form:

http://www.amazon.com/INTERMATIC-T104P3 ... rds=t104p3

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

What I don't understand is how all of a sudden there was a loose connection/loose screw when nothing has been touched
    Metal electrical connections not screwed down with just about ALL your strength will loosen themselves over time as the metals heat and cool because of current flow.

That doesn't look like "all of a sudden" to me but rather a long term bad connection.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

All you need is a T104 mechanism. The P is for plastic enclosure, M is for Metallic. Get which ever one is cheaper. For the cost of just the mechanism you get the enclosure free. Safe the enclosure, sell it on ebay.

The mechanism just pops out of the enclosure.

Step by step directions on changing the mechanism:http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...mechanism.aspx

Try this link to purchase. You'll end up with an extra box: http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10...&keywords=t104

Directions from intermatic: http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/In...tructions.ashx

Hope that helps.

Once or twice a year I tighten the connections. When I check for lizards adjust the time change.

10. Back To Top    #10

Although not specifically related to the burnt connection, you should run a ground wire to the ground screw located just to the left of the OFF trigger in the second photo. Since you and your pool people have to access the innards of the timer to set it and override it, you'd be putting yourself and others at extreme risk. As you can see from the episode with the burnt connection, "s**t happens", and your better off having that ground protection in place, than not.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

11. Back To Top    #11

Since I went to get this done fast I will probably buy at home depot for $8 more. To replace it cant I just put the electrical matching where they are now? The wires coming from the electrical box are all black so I dont know offhand whats the line and load, but I figured just match up the wires as they currently are

12. Back To Top    #12

Where can I run a ground though it does not appear I have a ground copper line coming from my electrical wires

13. Back To Top    #13

While you're at Home Depot, get some 14 AWG green insulated wire (solid or stranded will work). Connect that wire to any electrical box or equipment you know is properly grounded, and run that wire into your timer. Before starting, make sure you've disconnected all electricity to any live circuits you'll be working on, or near. If your not comfortable with any of this, you should seek the help of an electrician. Good luck.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks guys replaced it last night with no issues

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Nice work.
    Dave S.