Winterizing above ground pool..PH and stablizer?

May 16, 2012
NE OK
Question: My PH is 8.2+, I should lower that before closing, right? Also, I have next to no stablizer. Is that a big deal in closing the pool? When I opened the pool earlier this spring I had HORRIBLE calcium scaling. I do not want that problem again!!

My current readings are:
FC-11.5
CC-.5
TC-12
PH-8.2+
TA-110
CH-190
CYA-0-5

Of course, lower the pH immediately. It should never have been allowed to get that high and is a VERY significant factor for scaling in a pool.

At this point in the season, CYA is not that important but you should probably read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School to get a better grasp of normal water parameters to head off issues next Spring.

curlyfry22 said:
Thanks! That's what I thought. I added 64 oz. muriatic acid. I will test it again later this evening. I constantly battle rising PH.
Looking back at your previous threads, your TA testing is either inconsitent or something is adding TA to your pool. Getting TA down will help a lot with your ph rise. Have you tested your fill water for TA and ph?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.