Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ready to take care of the pool myself

1. Back To Top    #1

Ready to take care of the pool myself

Being a new pool owner can be a little overwhelming. I have learned a lot thanks to this forum in the last 3 months. I wanted learn everything before I fire the pool service and start doing it myself but I am more of a learn by doing type of person. So I'm ready to just do it. I know I need a good test kit but other then that what would you all suggest I have on hand?

Thanks,

JB
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ready to take care of the pool myself

Really nothing. Get the test kit and once you have the results you'll be able to tell what you need and what action(s) you need to take.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup. All we know for sure is that you will need bleach to maintain FC, the rest depends on your test results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Knowledge is your best weapon to have on hand.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

One thing I would like to add is when you test all your parameters and get everything in range don't micro manage the levels. All the parameters have a range and as long as everything is in range you should be good to go.
    If it's not broke don't fix it !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey, you can do it - I fired my pool guy just before resurfacing 1 1/2 year ago, so much easier now. Don't forget to brushing, vacuum, and the filter. Follow the guidelines true and sure. Just ask the forum anything, best resource ever - you may be doing it yourself, but you are never alone.
    13200 gal, IG, plaster, built 1985, replastered 2012, Mytilus MA-90C cartridge filter, 2716 Blue Line In-ground Pump and Motor (1 HP), (manual clean/brush/test with Taylor K-2006, TFP since 2012) in Northwest Houston TX

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone, It's very reassuring to know I can go it alone and come here for help if I need it.
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

8. Back To Top    #8

It's not that difficult to maintain once the water is balanced. There's a fairly steep learning curve, but once you have a few weeks' practice, it gets to be routine and boring. You'll know the pool's appetite for acid and bleach, how often to vacuum, what the pump sounds like and what the pressure should be soon enough.

There's a certain outlay at first for the test kit and the chemicals, pole, brush, vacuum, all that stuff, but it will be repaid in two or three months by not paying a pool service.

Expect to become infected with sparklypoolitis, as well as Pool Snobbery. You'll begin hesitating to go in other pools soon; it's normal around here.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Congratulations for taking control yourself. You will find it far easier than you once imagined. I want to second Woody in saying that knowledge will be the best tool in your kit.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem