Does DE have a shelf life?

Oct 14, 2013
Harare, Zimbabwe
Quick question, have searched as best I can but cannot find if this has been asked before. Basically I have been hunting around where I live for DE (more about the challenges for pool care in Zimbabwe detailed in this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/no-way-to-obtain-fas-dpd-test-t71335.html post) for about 6 months now in order to experiment with the method of adding small amounts to sand filter for added water polish/ filtering.

Today, unexpectedly and finally I came across a guy who had some unopened bags of the stuff (pool grade sold under the name of Africhem, a pool chemical company in SA) he said it had been lying around for years, between 5-20 years he didn't know as he didn't buy it. He reckoned it was out of date now so gave it to me for free. :whoot:

Does this stuff go bad?

I hope not as then I have 10kg's of it for free!!!!!!

Cheers as always for help and input received.

Mike

Normally if the bag is unopened it's OK, but being so old you never know. Kinda feel the bag, and it should feel like a bag of flour. If it's hard, it's got wet.

Now that I re-read and see it was free enjoy. You got a score!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.