Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Level Dropping, Leave Uncovered for Winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Level Dropping, Leave Uncovered for Winter?

I have an above ground pool. I winterized and installed the cover and in the past few weeks the water level has been dropping. There must be a leak (I am not sure how old the liner is, but it could be close to 20 years old). I thought that I would wait until spring to replace the liner, but today the cover fell in. The water level is so low that the rain water collecting in the cover pulled it into the pool. I am not sure what to do for the winter (I live in Michigan), should I leave it uncovered for the winter, get a new liner now, perhaps there is another creative solution that a more seasoned pool veteran may be able to offer. Thank you in advance for any help!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Level Dropping, Leave Uncovered for Winter?

Welcome to TFP.

If you're pretty sure it has a leak and you're going to replace the cover next spring anyway, I'd anchor the walls in a few places to hold them upright and just leave it until then. You can use some screw in dog anchors or concrete blocks and ratchet straps to do the anchoring.

Is it a round or oval pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

18x30ft oval pool (partially underground). I have owned the pool for a year and Trouble Free Pools has been a fantastic resource!

4. Back To Top    #4

Since it's oval and partially underground, you may want to see if you can find and patch the leak, and keep the water level about 2/3rds full. Anchoring it should work, but it won't protect it from frost heave.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit