Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can automatic pool cover pump lower pool level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can automatic pool cover pump lower pool level?

My pool company closed our pool, lowered the water a bit below the skimmers, and I put an automatic pool pump on the cover. This is just a tarp type cover with water weights around the pool to hold it in place. It may just be me, but I think that the water level is lower than when the pool was closed. The cover didn't seem to have any holes, but is it possible that my automatic pool cover pump is pulling water out of my pool rather than just off the top of the cover? I unplugged the pump (a Rule H53SP-24 Marine Rule 1800) and it doesn't siphon when unplugged, but I'm concerned about leaving it plugged in. Am I paranoid, or is my concern legitimate?

Thanks--

Al
    My Pool: IG 31k Gallon vinyl liner (41'x16' w/ 12'x16' "L" leg; avg depth 6' in main area, 3' in leg), Pentair IC40 SWG, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool-o-matic auto filler, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Taylor K1766 Salt Test, Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (#342001) variable speed pump, Rheem/ Raypak 266A.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can automatic pool cover pump lower pool level?

Yes it could. It depends on the type of material the cover is made from.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Can automatic pool cover pump lower pool level?

Thanks. I'll check with the company I got the cover from. Meanwhile, I'll leave the pump unplugged unless it is raining... Would it prevent the possible draining of the pool to put some kind of short barrier (such as a cut off milk carton) between the bottom of the pump and the cover? I'm thinking that it wouldn't get as much water off my cover, but it should protect the contents of the pool.

Best--

Al
    My Pool: IG 31k Gallon vinyl liner (41'x16' w/ 12'x16' "L" leg; avg depth 6' in main area, 3' in leg), Pentair IC40 SWG, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool-o-matic auto filler, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Taylor K1766 Salt Test, Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (#342001) variable speed pump, Rheem/ Raypak 266A.