Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to the forum question on closing pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New to the forum question on closing pool

Hey

I went to close my pool on my own for the first time last weekend and it went pretty well except for a couple of issues. I was screwing in my plugs into the return inlets and two of the three jets still had air bubbles coming out leading me to believe water would still seep back in once the air pressure was removed. I wrapped the plugs with teflon and I'm not sure if I did it but the two that were leaking were leaking around a the cracked cover plate.

Would replacing the cover plates solve the problem because I don't see there being a big seal behind the cover? I really need to get the pool closed this weekend because it's dropping below freezing. I might just have to lower the water past the two plugs but I hear that's really bad on pool covers. Thanks in advance!
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to the forum question on closing pool

If youcan't find replacement cover plates quickly enough, you might try to waterproof epoxy those cracks.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks that's a good idea. Might do that.
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Pulled the cover today. It's definitely what was causing the leak. I think it was cracked before though. I'm surprised it didn't cause any problems last spring when I opened the pool.

Now the question is can I apply water proof silicone or epoxy and seal up the new cover with the pool water higher than the return jet opening or will I need to drain the pool? Quick advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -Jay

20800 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    In ground
    Vinyl
    1 hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by headrec
    Pulled the cover today. It's definitely what was causing the leak. I think it was cracked before though. I'm surprised it didn't cause any problems last spring when I opened the pool.

Now the question is can I apply water proof silicone or epoxy and seal up the new cover with the pool water higher than the return jet opening or will I need to drain the pool? Quick advice would be greatly appreciated.
    How far below the water level are your returns?? A little water is cheap compared to a big problem
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner