Please help me decide fiberglass vs. gunite

Oct 28, 2013
We are in NJ.

My head is spinning from the options!

Cannot decide between gunite and fiberglass (San Juan, Leisure or Trilogy).

Please tell me which you would choose based on ease & longevity (we plan to be here for 15 years). Will be doing SWG.
If you choose fiberglass, which of the 3 options is best & why?

Thank you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Based on a few of the reports of major problems with fiberglass pools (both during the install and later) here in the forum, I would stick with gunite.

Of course, the key is just to have talented people doing the install of either.

Problem is that up in the NORTH EAST part of the world, finding a GUNITE PRO is no easy job easy.

I had the same problem, head was spinning. I did a ton of research and found a local PB that had a GREAT reputation for knowing how to install a FG pool, and it is PERFECT! and will last FOREVER WITH LITTLE MAINTENANCE.

So...don't be scared of a FG pool, it has plenty of benefits and is a great option. WE LOVE OURS!

The biggest key is the installer of any pool be it fiberglass or gunite. We are a Trilogy dealer and have had excellent experience with them. We had a San Jaun dealer that he was the problem not the shell. He wasn't doing the installs correctly. Good luck with your project.

We specifically chose to go with FG for one reason in particular- I'd read that algae has a harder time getting established on the slick surfaces of FG. No rough surfaces that provide places for algae to take hold, y'know?

I've never had algae so who knows? :cheers:

I think I can share this link, if not please remove.
FYI:
You can certainly share the link. Forum rules allow links in text or sigs to members having more than 200 posts AND that do not constitute direct selling.

You certainly have the requisite 200 posts and the link is in direct response and helpful to OP's questions so it is not interpreted as direct selling.

This rule is provided to keep the forum free from unsolicited advertisers or drive-by spammers. Y'all would probably be amazed at the number of dishonest posters and spammers that the Mods intercept and that never make it to the public forum.

JasonLion and the Mods do an amazing job of keeping this forum perhaps the cleanest and friendliest place on the net. That said, folks that try to "trick" us are dealt with rather quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fiberglass (2005 Viking Pool & Spa) Beautiful, and on a maintenance scale of 0-10, a 2 [I sometimes feel guilty for doing so little].

My only issue is with the concrete decking. The SWG water is eroding it in some areas. Wish I had been warned about that, not sure what to do now.

For what it is worth I would choose the cheaper option since you are only going to be there for 15 years. You will never recoup the cost of the pool so financially the cheaper alternative will reap the biggest benefit. Also, when you sell, the new owner will have a much easier time removing a fiberglass pool if they don't want a pool.

It just seems so difficult to get a FG pool installed correctly. Over time they settle, then crack or break and this will surely happen within 15 years if it does. I'm with Jblizzle on this one. If you can afford to go Gunite, do it and don't look back.

We live in Upstate NY, and chose fiberglass (Leisure), and have no regrets. The weather fluctuates from below zero in winter, to 100 in summer. As with any pool, the PB choice is probably the most important choice in the whole plan. Study as much as you can, and gather informed information. When installed properly, they won't settle, crack and break any more than any other properly installed pool. Maintenance has been easy, surely easier with the information that I have obtained here. As with any decision, study, study, study. But, don't fear fiberglass, it offers plenty of benefits when done correctly. We used Royal Fiberglass Pools of Tully, NY.

Went with gunite and didn't really consider FG or a liner. I knew what I wanted both in feel and appearance. I got what I wanted. You can tap, bang, jump, scratch or hit the pool shell and there are no ill effects (on the shell that is) and it always feels like a rock, because it is. I think the concrete based pools also give a continuity of material to the pool area that I appreciate, all from the earth.

I do think that often times people's appreciation for, or acceptance of different materials for pools comes from what they experienced growing up. My formative years were spent (pool wise) entirely in a large neighborhood commercial pool, obviously concrete. So that's ingrained in my mind as to what a pool is and how it should feel, for me.

It's not that cost wasn't an issue, but I wasn't going to build a pool unless I could afford gunite. And of course you need to be ready/willing to accept all of the compromises that the different types of pools require. Nothing can replace spending quality time here reading the volumes of incredible information people share on their builds and operating experiences.

In our 20 sq. mi. area I'd say pools are maybe 70% gunite, 25% vinyl and 5% FG. Less scientifically in # of pools it's surely gunite > vinyl > FG.

We have choosen FG. Doing install next month. Did a lot of research and maybe too much. Anyway 2 factors for us was cost, did not want to buy the farm so to speak and the resurfacing cost down the road. We were also going with SWG system so its my understanding that the saltwater system is least intrusive to the pool's finish. My neighbor just had his resurfaced and what a nightmare, they had to do it twice....ugh!!!!!
Granted, froma design point, gunite is endless. FG not so much, but we were not looking for a the glit and glitter(spa, water features etc....)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.