North Carolina Pool Closing Help

Sep 22, 2013
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new topic for your own questions so the threads do not get confusing. Thanks, jblizzle

Hello

Im also in NC. I have a 10 gallon fiberglass pool as well. It seems this summer, my SWG had a hard time keeping up with the chlorine since I had a bad algae problem when I opened it up in the Spring. Im not sure what kind of Algaecide I used, but since I used I have been having to use alot of bleach to keep my chlorine high all summer. Also, I had a pretty bad stain problem and had to use vitamin C powder twice to get it clean again. I have to keep my chlorine % at 50 to 60% this whole summer and use bleach as well. To me, the generator is not as good as it was last summer.

Now its time for closing, and I dont want that same algae problem I had last Spring. Question is, after I do the slamming with high chlorine levels for a few days. Do I then use the Polyquat 60 a day or two after? I have a mesh tight safety cover for the winter. Also, I read you lower the water but my pool guy who installed it says I should run it during the winter hours for at least 4 hours a day. Is that right? If so, then I cant really lower the water level for fear of ruining the equipment. Please let me know what chemicals all do I use. I dont want the same algae, chlorine level, and stain problem I had last year. I feel it had something to do with the algaecide I first used. Everytime I let the PH get too high and FC get too low, my staining comes back.

You do not do the SLAM for a few days. You follow the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 criteria to stop. Then if you want to use polyquat (optional), you allow the FC to drop some and add the algaecide and close up the pool.

It sounds like if you are going to run the pump for a few hours/day over the winter, then you are not really "closing" the pool. If you go this route, you forget the polyquat and just maintain the FC like normal. Although maybe this is not possible with the safety cover (?)

If you use a lot of algaecide with copper in it before, that could have been the cause of staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.