Upgrading from intex 2650 pump/filter discussion

Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1hp 2 spd? Question about pump.

I've got the same pump. I run on low speed for 6 hours a day for general filtration. I'll use high speed for about 2 hrs when I dose with bleach and to get better skimming of stuff floating on surface.

As for your water feature you'll have try and see how it works on low.

Re: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1hp 2 spd? Question about pump

Hayward told me told me about 20 - 30 GPM on low. Whether or not this is true I don't know. On high speed it moves some water. Mine is not hard plumbed as of yet.

florentino said:
So on low speed it moves a good amount of water ?
pwrstrk said:
Hayward told me told me about 20 - 30 GPM on low.
It entirely depends on the plumbing. In my 1.5" hard plumb case, I get about ~20 gpm on low. I run on low almost all the time, except when my solar panels are in the flow loop.

florentino said:
How far is your pumbing run ? Return and intake
You can get all the detail of my plumbing here, when mas helped me analyze my setup for running solar panels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/solar-panel-configuration-dilemma-t43851-20.html#p358890

Bottom line, this pump moves a lot of water...if anything, it might be a little overkill for your pool. The pentair dynamo model 340203 is a 2-speed that has a little lower flow than the matrix.

florentino said:
So ypu would consider it over kill even on low speed ?
Less overkill on low, but still likely more than you need on your fairly small pool. Your current pump/filter should be well sized for you pool. If you are having trouble with it, start a new topic with the details.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

florentino said:
Arighty thank you so much for all the great advise. I am planning to upgrade to hayward s 24 sand filter and two speed pump to save on electric bill
The filter of the Intex 2650 sand filter/pump combo (that is the one you have?) is correctly sized for your pool (although going bigger is not a bad thing). As for the pump, it is a 0.95 hp motor, but only has a service factor of ~0.5, making it "equivalent" to ~1/2 hp up-rated motor in the industry. It likely is not using much more electricity than the low speed of the lowest hp 2-speed agp pumps available. Have you measured how much power it is using? It is said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or in this case maybe it is better to say "fix it (replace then?) when it breaks".

i have not measured the power consumption but i saw on this forum that the intex draws about 5 amps. and yeah i do have the 2650 intex. Compared to the low speed of the hayward 1 hp only draws 2.9 i belive.

I wanted to upgrade because i had to back wash serval times this season but it was due to alge problems. I will be putting the Aqua trol in my pool for this upcoming season and do not want to constantly be back washing and getting ride of the salt in the pool.
Does the reasoning make any sense? lol you help is very appreciated thank you

florentino said:
i have not measured the power consumption but i saw on this forum that the intex draws about 5 amps.
Could you point me to where it shows that?

florentino said:
I wanted to upgrade because i had to back wash serval times this season but it was due to alge problems. I will be putting the Aqua trol in my pool for this upcoming season and do not want to constantly be back washing and getting ride of the salt in the pool.
Does the reasoning make any sense? lol you help is very appreciated thank you
Sounds like your problem is water chemistry and not filter related. I am going to split off this thread and make a new one so we can discuss this more.

florentino said:
That doesn't look like they measured it, but I am not sure.

With that said:
  • Intex 2650: for a 5 hour run time (probably more than you need with the 2650) at $0.25/kwhr (just guessing since you are in cali) it would cost you $0.71/day (just using rough estimates of 5 amp X 115 volts = 0.575 kw)
    Matrix 1 hp 2-speed on low: for a 5 (25/20)= 6.25 hour run time (I assumed about 25 gpm for the 2650 and about 20 gpm for the matrix on low), that would cost you about $0.52/day (just using rough estimates of 2.9 amp X 115 volts = 0.333 kw)
So the difference per day in cost would be ~ $0.19/day

The equipment you proposed:
  • Matrix 1hp 2-speed $250
    S244T $350
    Resale value of intex 2650 $100
    Net Total: $500

Assuming you keep the pool up 365 days a year, the payback would be 500/0.19/365 = 7.3 years
In all actuality, you likely could get by with less run time, especially in the cooler months, and it sounds like you do not run all year...so much longer payback. Also, the current values used above are likely ratings and not real world numbers.

Nope, I wouldn't do it until the intex breaks.

florentino said:
last season i did have a problem keeping chlorine in the pool which lead to alge problems
This can be fixed, and is probably the real source of your desire to move to a new pump, but if you don't have it, you should get an appropriate test kit so that you can maintain your pool chemistry correctly. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.