New Pool Build, Modern Design-Cypress, Texas

CCisotope

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2013
Cypress, TX
Hi all, we are currently in the design phase of our pool building process. We have met with 2 PB so far. I have scheduled 8 altogether...not sure if this is overkill but I want to see what options/services there are since we are new to this pool building process.

For our pool we want a very clean and modern look with a dedicated lap lane that is incorporated into the main pool and a spa. The spa will be centered in the pool and also be centered from our view from the family room patio.

This is the design we are aiming for
ourwanteddesign_zps3cf95f5b.png

In the middle of the pool we have a dedicated lap lane with one end of the lane being covered by the patio. We are planning to have our current patio extended out. I did this with MS Paint with simple lines hope it gives you an idea of what our aim is.

Here is what the PB proposed
romanendpooldesign_zps48390ffd.jpg

Here is the 2D rendering
romanend3dview_zps0bb16a9d.jpg

So basically what he proposed is what I think is called a roman ended pool because he said it costs the same to build a pool that comes all the way out to the end versus a smaller main pool with 2 ends that come out. Is this true? It seems to me a smaller main pool with 2 ends would be cheaper than a huge pool that is 44x18. The pool that we have in mind will have a deep end (to practice dives). If we go with the large 44x18 won't this add to the maintenance costs because the pool has more water and building/ equipment costs would be more because of the size? PB said it would cost the same to build a 44x18 pool versus our smaller main pool with 2 ends.

PB also tried to talk us into travertine coping....and sprayed cement for the decking. I was hoping for a more seamless look where the decking and coping flows together. I've done some research and it looks like this can be done with formed cement. What other types of materials have been used by people on this forum besides flagstone, slate travertine etc? Are there any other types of materials that can be used for the seamless look? I really haven"t seen many PB in my area of Texas who have pictures of modern pools with a clean modern decking and coping. Most of PB pictures have pools with flagstone or other types of stones. We really want to steer clear of the travertine because we don't want to deal with the sealing and costs. Also the gaps between the travetine stones does not give a seamless look.

Please bear with me as I am new to this forum, hope my description makes sense and I hope the pictures show up.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I changed your first picture link to show up. Just get the "Direct" link on the right Photobucket and put that in IMG tags like this if you want to edit the rest:
Code:
[img]http://www.website.com/picture.jpg[/img]

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

A smooth, seamless look on your decking will have some limitations. Any masonry surface has to have expansion joints at LEAST every 15' and often less. These joints break up the look you seem to be hoping for and they are often hidden better by decking with some pattern to it.

pools are estimated by how much perimeter beam around water line -----known as pb. you don't want a cantilever deck or "seamless" deck look. too many problems with clay and shifting decks. it might work in some areas if you used a lot of soil stabilization and a mylar/nylon bridge over the pool beam and poured decks with lots of expansion joints. you can also pour a separate deck outside the pool beam and bridge the distance with 1.5" travertine in a pattern that you like. very important in all cases is to have sub deck drainage to take the water and rainfall off the pool deck

You'll probably drive yourself nuts trying to get 8 bids. Maybe 4 would be enough to give you a good range of options and let you check prices. My neighbors have a cantilever concrete stamped coping. It's the same color as their decking but it does have expansion joints quite regularly still. It does all blend in together though.

We started looking at contemporary designs and you're right it's hard to find in Cypress as a lot of the pools here are free form/lagoon style. There definitely are some though.

Good luck and :wave:

Thank you all for your replies! Had a meeting with a couple more PB in the area. So far we met with Perry Pools, The Poolman, Cypress custom pools and Northside pools. They all have good reputations but not sure about Northside. Has anyone worked with Northside-they are in Tomball. A good neighbor of ours uses them so they were our first call. As we dive into this project we are now contemplating an outdoor kitchen. Or at least a sink and counter space. Is it worth it to have an outdoor kitchen?

Hi CBink! I saw some of your posts on a different forum and they are really helpful. Your pool is beautiful and hope you are enjoying it with minimum issues. Not quite a contemporary/modern design but still beautiful. We are getting closer to the final design in our minds but it will be interesting to see what the the other PB come back with.

Also does anyone know of a good pool tile warehouse in the Houston area that is open to the public? I have looked at some irredescent glass tiles online and would like to see other options beyond the PB portfolio.

Yes, we decided we wanted a slide and so moved away from the geometric/contemporary design we were initially envisioning. Thanks for the compliments on our pool - we're very happy with it.

Not heard of Northside but that doesn't mean they're not any good. The other 3 are all well known and respected around here. I met with 2 of the other 3 but just gelled better with the PB I ended up using.

As for the outdoor kitchen I think they're well worth it. I've pre-plumbed mine with the intention of doing it next year.
We intend to spend a lot of time outside and I already cook outside a lot (3-4 times a week normally) so it will get a lot of use.

Good luck! I look forward to hopefully seeing build pics on here!

Cypress Custom recently did one of my neighbors pools and they are now having trouble getting them to teturn calls to come back and fix some things. It took them 3 months to get their spa working and ultimately another pool builder had to pix the problem.

I've so seen their workmanship at another friends house and it was questionable.

Really, go with your gut and someone you really connect with. I know it's a difficult process, good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you been able to meet with any other builders yet? Any more designs?

BBODD - I'll be honest, that's the first bad thing I've heard about Cypress Custom Pools. They have a very good reputation and I know at least 3 other pool builders that have told me they do good work. (I'm not saying you're wrong - just that it's a bit of a surprise to me).

Before we built our pool, I interviewed several builders but failed to "connect" with any of them.

That's why I built my own. Saved 50% too.

We put down 1200 sq/ft of decking, installed a large TV, a couple outdoor couches and a large dining set. I have three grills (gas,charcoal and BGE) but no outdoor kitchen.

Still we spend more time outside than inside. The outdoor space was a wise investment for us.

danacc, I did multiple searches online for modern pool design and decking so I would have something to show the builders. I even came across your pic that you posted. It seems Texas's definition of Modern differs from what California describes as modern. To really pull off a nice modern design not only depends on the pool but also the types of finishes/decking options one has. It seems the soil here in Texas has limitations and the PB that I have come across do not have a lot of experience with slab concrete designs or other materials available. It seems I am limited to flagstone, travertine, pea gravel, spray decking or concrete stamping. When I mentioned other materials such as Jerusalem limestone, or Leuger stone as options they weren't familiar with these materials. It doesn't make me comfortable having a PB who's not familiar with these materials that we are possibly looking into.

Cbink in terms of design, we only received 2 designs so far. One of the PB didn't seem to be listening to our request to maximize the length for lap swimming and ended up putting a raised spa that sets into the pool, thus taking up valuable space for lap swimming. I don't think the PB in Texas have done many Modern pool designs or work with a lot of glass tiles for pools. I really don't want our pool to be their experimental pool.

We have a couple more designs coming this week but so far, I am not impressed and a bit frustrated. Frustrated that the PB here just don't have the experience Hubby and I are looking for. We are also concerned about the service that we may receive after the pool is built, if any problems come up with the build.

CCisotope said:
danacc, I did multiple searches online for modern pool design and decking so I would have something to show the builders. I even came across your pic that you posted. It seems Texas's definition of Modern differs from what California describes as modern. To really pull off a nice modern design not only depends on the pool but also the types of finishes/decking options one has. It seems the soil here in Texas has limitations and the PB that I have come across do not have a lot of experience with slab concrete designs or other materials available. It seems I am limited to flagstone, travertine, pea gravel, spray decking or concrete stamping. When I mentioned other materials such as Jerusalem limestone, or Leuger stone as options they weren't familiar with these materials. It doesn't make me comfortable having a PB who's not familiar with these materials that we are possibly looking into.

Cbink in terms of design, we only received 2 designs so far. One of the PB didn't seem to be listening to our request to maximize the length for lap swimming and ended up putting a raised spa that sets into the pool, thus taking up valuable space for lap swimming. I don't think the PB in Texas have done many Modern pool designs or work with a lot of glass tiles for pools. I really don't want our pool to be their experimental pool.

We have a couple more designs coming this week but so far, I am not impressed and a bit frustrated. Frustrated that the PB here just don't have the experience Hubby and I are looking for. We are also concerned about the service that we may receive after the pool is built, if any problems come up with the build.
Perhaps it's worth speaking to Marquise pools then.

I've seen a few of their pools and they're very good and even after 4-5 years still look brand new.

This is one of theirs that uses glass tiles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi2p7ipc2Gw (it's the best quality video I could find).

I don't know exactly how expensive they are but I know they're not cheap - I think they would do a very good job though.

Your comment that Texas modern differs from California made me laugh - I'm from the UK and when I first came over here I went looking for 'modern' furniture and was just aghast at what they call modern here... :shock: (This is especially true of the larger stores). I got there in the end though!

Here's what we have decided on our pool design. There will be some minor tweaks to the back wall design and the left bump out area will be equal in length to the step areas. This PB is the only one that came close to the modern design we were looking for and not just a rectangle...

We are adding on a patio to extend out from our garage and we have an existing covered patio from our family room with French doors. So with this design it will give us steps down to the pool from both the existing patio and the new patio/kitchen area.

A couple requirements we had were a deep end so the kids could practice diving and a swim lane (we have a young competitive swimmer in the family). The swim lane lap is 30 ft and the whole pool is 33 ft in length by 20 wide. We tried to maximize the length as much as we could but 38 ft vs 30 ft is really not that big of a difference for swimming laps. I was still planning on getting a swim tether for the 38 ft pool so I could swim laps or in place.

The other requirement is that the back wall needs to be flat on the top so a movie screen can be placed on top or behind it for dive in movie night.

With this design the there is a bench that runs along the side opposite the wall and steps around the spa which allows seating for the movie screen and the TV under the patio. Also the back wall will have 3 sheer descents with glass tile on the wall. I am finalizing the wall design with glass tiles and hope the tile guys place it all on correctly.

Hubby and I have gone back and forth on the spa position of middle or to the side. and figured the side works out best. we can see the movie screen and tv from the spa then.

Since this design is vastly different from the other PB's we will probably need to get them to quote pricing around this design. The size is a bit smaller than the other PB, they were quoting 40x20 and 40x 17 pool sizes. Has anyone else used a design from one PB and have a different one build it?

image_zps250724a9.jpg

image_zpsd3065930.jpg

image_zpsdbf9c924.jpg

image_zps4dc933a5.jpg

we decided a very light colored travertine coping a spray deck. Also we are looking into a glass bead finish for the spa. this will be dependent on pricing of the glass bead finish. Since the pool is smaller and only 6 ft deep this gives us more money for nicer finishes.

CCisotope said:
Here's what we have decided on our pool design. There will be some minor tweaks to the back wall design and the left bump out area will be equal in length to the step areas. This PB is the only one that came close to the modern design we were looking for and not just a rectangle...

We are adding on a patio to extend out from our garage and we have an existing covered patio from our family room with French doors. So with this design it will give us steps down to the pool from both the existing patio and the new patio/kitchen area.

A couple requirements we had were a deep end so the kids could practice diving and a swim lane (we have a young competitive swimmer in the family). The swim lane lap is 30 ft and the whole pool is 33 ft in length by 20 wide. We tried to maximize the length as much as we could but 38 ft vs 30 ft is really not that big of a difference for swimming laps. I was still planning on getting a swim tether for the 38 ft pool so I could swim laps or in place.

The other requirement is that the back wall needs to be flat on the top so a movie screen can be placed on top or behind it for dive in movie night.

With this design the there is a bench that runs along the side opposite the wall and steps around the spa which allows seating for the movie screen and the TV under the patio. Also the back wall will have 3 sheer descents with glass tile on the wall. I am finalizing the wall design with glass tiles and hope the tile guys place it all on correctly.

Hubby and I have gone back and forth on the spa position of middle or to the side. and figured the side works out best. we can see the movie screen and tv from the spa then.

Since this design is vastly different from the other PB's we will probably need to get them to quote pricing around this design. The size is a bit smaller than the other PB, they were quoting 40x20 and 40x 17 pool sizes. Has anyone else used a design from one PB and have a different one build it?

we decided a very light colored travertine coping a spray deck. Also we are looking into a glass bead finish for the spa. this will be dependent on pricing of the glass bead finish. Since the pool is smaller and only 6 ft deep this gives us more money for nicer finishes.
Looks really nice!
You can certainly show other pool builders this design and say it's really what you're looking for. I would say that the PB that drew this is most likely to fit your design requirements the closest since its his design, the others will be merely emulating it and it sounds like he was the one that listened to you.

Good luck!

cbink said:
Your comment that Texas modern differs from California made me laugh - I'm from the UK and when I first came over here I went looking for 'modern' furniture and was just aghast at what they call modern here... :shock: (This is especially true of the larger stores). I got there in the end though!

We are putting our house all back to MCM (Mid Century Modern). We shop at places like Room and Board, getting doors and stuff for the house from Crestview Doors, have some Eames pieces on the way... is what you consider modern different than these? Danish modern fits in well with what we are doing, but we haven't bought any yet. PS, I'm in Texas. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.