Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New build - Fort Worth, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New build - Fort Worth, TX

My husband and I moved into this house late June 2013 knowing we wanted to put in a pool within a year. After talking with a couple of PBs we decided this time of year is ideal, so here we go...

Some before pics:

an image of what we have planned, except we've already made one change request and that is to put flagstone on the tanning ledge

Our PB surprised us last night with an email saying they would be starting our dig today. It rained off and on all morning and finally around 11:30 they pulled off the project. We have two dump trucks & a trailer parked on our street, a bobcat and a track hoe in our back yard, along with A LOT of mud. But that's okay, it'll all be worth it in the end!

Carman
    17K gallon IG pool w/Spa, 400,000 BTU Propane Hayward Heater, StoneScapes finish w/sealed Oklahoma Flagstone coping and tanning ledge, Hayward Aquarite Salt System, 60ft D.E. filter, Hayward Tristar 2 HP 2 speed pump, Polaris 280, Pro Logic PS4 w/freeze guard. New build December 2013. Pool gets full sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build - Fort Worth, TX

Looking forward to your build!

Post some pool equipment details and we can make suggestions to help you avoid common mistakes.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Looking forward to your build!

Post some pool equipment details and we can make suggestions to help you avoid common mistakes.

Thanks Linen. Here's the rundown:

Hayward Tristar 2HP 2speed pump
    60ft2 D.E. filter
    ProLogic PS4 w/freeze guard
    Hayward Aquarite Salt System
    Polaris 280

Would love any suggestions or comments regarding the equipment.

Today turned out to be windy and sunny, so they were able to come back & complete the excavation. Plumbing & steel are scheduled for tomorrow!

Carman
    17K gallon IG pool w/Spa, 400,000 BTU Propane Hayward Heater, StoneScapes finish w/sealed Oklahoma Flagstone coping and tanning ledge, Hayward Aquarite Salt System, 60ft D.E. filter, Hayward Tristar 2 HP 2 speed pump, Polaris 280, Pro Logic PS4 w/freeze guard. New build December 2013. Pool gets full sun.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh and also on the spec list, there's an Oxidizer - Calcium Hypochloride. Not sure if that's standard or not...
    Carman

5. Back To Top    #5

That is a big pump as needed for the spa I suppose, but at least it is a 2-speed for when not using the spa. And the filter is a good size

The 280 requires a booster pump, was that not listed on the invoice?
    There are other pressure side cleaners that do not need a booster (like the 380). Or there are suction cleaners or electric robots.

What size Aquarite cell? You should get the T-15 (40k cell) and not the 25k cell. It should just plug into and be controlled by the PS4.

cal-hypo is just one form of chlorine powder, but you have to be careful that you do not let the calcium levels in the pool get too high:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    That is a big pump as needed for the spa I suppose, but at least it is a 2-speed for when not using the spa. And the filter is a good size

Good to know the filter is a good size. I'm still learning about all this and have been putting a lot of trust in the PB.

What size Aquarite cell? You should get the T-15 (40k cell) and not the 25k cell. It should just plug into and be controlled by the PS4.
    Seems like I remember him saying it would have a booster pump, but it's not listed on any of the paperwork...will be emailing him tonight to make sure. Will also ask him what size Aquarite cell.
    Thank you so much for all the info! Helps me feel like less of a doofus.
    Carman

7. Back To Top    #7

cal-hypo is just one form of chlorine powder, but you have to be careful that you do not let the calcium levels in the pool get too high:
    Is it common to have both a salt cell and cal-hypo oxidizer? Would you advise not using the oxidizer and just relying on the salt cell for chlorine?
    Carman

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

There are other pressure side cleaners that do not need a booster (like the 380). Or there are suction cleaners or electric robots.

ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    I think you mean the 360. The 380 still requires a booster pump.

Other than that you're spot on!

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have a SWG and maintain adequate FC, there is no need for cal-hypo. It is just a powder and not sure why it would be listed on the invoice ... that seems odd and would suggest getting clarification.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

If you have a SWG and maintain adequate FC, there is no need for cal-hypo. It is just a powder and not sure why it would be listed on the invoice ... that seems odd and would suggest getting clarification.
    For startup maybe?
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cbink
    For startup maybe?

Yes, I checked with the PB and the cal-hypo oxidizer will be used for start up. Seemed weird it was listed under equipment on the spec sheet. Kinda confused me for a bit.
    Carman

12. Back To Top    #12

What size Aquarite cell? You should get the T-15 (40k cell) and not the 25k cell.
    All the pool equipment was delivered this morning, and we do have the T-15.
    Carman

13. Back To Top    #13

All the steel and plumbing was done on Friday. The electrician came Saturday to ground the pool so gunite could be done Monday. Rain is in the forecast tomorrow through Wednesday, hopefully that doesn't mess up the schedule.

We asked our PB if we would be able to dim our pool light. He said they don't get a lot of requests for that, but to talk to the electrician and he could probably get it done. We did and he's going to put in a dimmer switch for us. So, do most pools not have a dimmer for the light? We had one in our previous pool, and we used it A LOT.
    Carman

14. Back To Top    #14

This test kit came with our pool equipment. Anyone know if it's any good?

Carman

15. Back To Top    #15

The kit is missing the CH, cya, and fas-dpd chlorine tests. It has the OTO Total Chlorine, ph, and TA tests.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    The kit is missing the CH, cya, and fas-dpd chlorine tests. It has the OTO Total Chlorine, ph, and TA tests.
    Thanks for the info linen. Looks like I will be purchasing the TF100.
    Carman

17. Back To Top    #17

The last pic I posted was plumbing and steel. I have a lot to post...

Gunite day

Not sure why they put the plastic sheeting around the perimeter.

It rained a day or two after gunite, so there were a couple of days of no work.
    Rock crew came and did the moss rock water wall in one day:

The coping and tile crew worked for 3 days. Cutting and chipping flagstone does not look like much fun at all. Plus the dust coats everything within sight. How these guys don't work with a mask on at all times is beyond me.

Amazing how just the forms for the decking makes such a big difference.

We were gone for 3 days and during that time, the decking was poured, the final grade was done and the sand was spread out for the sod. Very happy with the way it's looking:

This is the only thing I'm not real happy with. Didn't realize the spillway would be left a smooth cut and the PB says I may not like it if its chipped. We will see...

Plaster was scheduled for this Friday, but there's a 70% chance of rain, so it has been rescheduled for Dec 2.
    Carman

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks great!!!
    Tracy

35' X 19' pool (pool depth: 3.5', 5.5', 4'. Perimeter 97) 2 HP Jandy (2 speed)
    Spa 9.6' X 7.4' (10 jets total- 4 on circ, 6 on 2hp booster, 6' cascade spillway to pool). Heater: 400 BTU LXi
    Tanning ledge and benches covered with stone. 2 LED pool lights, 1 LED spa light.
    PebbleSheen finish in Aqua Blue
    30" gas fire pit raised 18".

19. Back To Top    #19

Carman - it's funny your PB said you wouldn't like it chipped - my spa spillway was supposed to be smooth but my PB said it would be better chipped! I guess it's just a matter of taste. Your pool looks great, glad they got your decking done before all this rain - I'm going to have a huge mud pit!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by tracyne
    Looks great!!!
    Thanks tracyne!
    Carman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast