Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing pool pump

i have a 24 ft above ground pool. my pump, a 1 1/2 hp emerson, model S55CXRDG-7928 quit working today. i need to purchase a new one. i'm looking at the hayward power-flo LX but not sure if it will be compatible. can you help?
    30' round AGP, 21,240 gallons
    Sta-Rite 1.5 hp pump, sand filter with Zeobrite
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.; Polaris 65
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing pool pump

Welcome to the forum!

We'd need to know what kind of filter you have to give the best advice. Your pump is quite a bit over sized for your pool. A 1HP or even a 3/4HP would easily handle your pool and save a bunch of electricity.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

i have a sand filter and was told today by someone else that i could also use a 1 hp pump. when i bought the pool it came with the 1 1/2 hp so now i really don't know what to buy. i appreciate your help.
    BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

one more question....does an oversized pump negatively affect the pool - other than using more electricity? thanks
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Filters are a little more efficient when you have a smaller pump. If the pump is too large for the filter it can cause serious problems. Other than that it is a cost of electricity issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School