Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it normal to have an unused return line hole?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it normal to have an unused return line hole?

Hi all,
    I've been wondering and am looking for the expertise of the pool guys on here.

My freeform pool has 2 return jets on each end of the pool. There is also a third return jet on one side, but I've never felt water coming out. I've owned pool for one summer, so I have no idea if jet ever worked in the past or not. I've just assumed that the line was never plumbed when installed(it it the farthest side away from pump). Any other suggestions on this would be much appreciated.
    27K gallon, IG vinyl pool, SD80 Sand Dollar sand filter-Michigan, 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Is it normal to have an unused return line hole?

Could it be a dedicated suction port?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it located directly under the skimmer?
    18'x9', IG, Plaster, AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWG (RC-35/22 Cell), 1 HP Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas Pump, Sta-Rite PXC75 Posi-Clear Cartridge System, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

No, it is not by either skimmer. If you picture a kidney shaped pool, it is located on the side curving in.

5. Back To Top    #5

Could be: dedicated suction line, dedicated pressure cleaner line, auto-fill port, equalizer line for the skimmer

I had one in my pool under a waterfall ... eventually found the pipe capped near the equipment for what was once a dedicated suction port to run the water fall.

What kind of valves do you have at the equipment? Add some pictures of the equipment and the hole location.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

[attachment=2:2p0pfrip]pool picture.jpeg[/attachment:2p0pfrip][attachment=1:2p0pfrip]pool plumbing outside.jpeg[/attachment:2p0pfrip]

[attachment=0:2p0pfrip]pool plumbing overall.jpeg[/attachment:2p0pfrip]

The hole in question is on the side that curves next to the steps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like you have 3 suction lines in front of the pump. Have you identified what each one does? Could be 1 is a skimmer, 1 is the floor, and 1 is the dedicated suction cleaner line.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

The 3 valves/lines control-skimmer 1, skimmer 2, & main. It is my understanding that line 1 goes to skimmer 1, line 2 to skimmer 2 and line 3 to main drain. Is this correct or could any of these lines be connected underground? I've read some post that talk about the skimmer and main being connected.

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you confirmed all that by just opening each suction line separately? Look in the skimmers under the basket, if the floor was maybe connected to the the skimmer you usually would see 2 open holes.

If there any skimmer-type lid in that area of mulch where I think you are saying the hole is?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

In my pool, I have an extra jet opening on the opposite side of the pool from the skimmer. At my pump, there is an extra valve that I can open or close to control the flow or pressure from that one jet. When I bought the house, the previous owner had a pool sweep type cleaner called the "Husler", that used the pressure from that jet. BTW, that is a pretty worthless cleaner and I got it out of there within a month or so of moving in. Now I can use that jet port to move water through a make shift solar heater or use a pressure side cleaner, or even connect a garden hose to drain some water out when it gets flooded. It has come in handy a few times.

Perhaps yours is set up the same way?
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

Through trial while blowing out lines is how I determined which line went to each skimmer/drain. My skimmers only have one hole at the bottom.
    I don't think there is anything besides a tree stump in the mulch, although i've never really looked. I'll check that out when I get home.

At his point, I think I'm going to stick the shop vac hose in the hole and see if any water is sucked out. All my lines are blown out except for this odd ball one.

12. Back To Top    #12

Have you ever figured out what the empty hole was for in the wall where you house your equipment?

I'd try sticking a hose in the "third return" and see where the water comes out. It could be an overflow with the outlet being away and likely downhill from the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Have you ever figured out what the empty hole was for in the wall where you house your equipment?
    Ah, good point, could be that there used to be another pipe that was on the pressure side for a pressure cleaner to the port. May dig a bit below that hole to see if there is a capped pipe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

When you say to stick hose in third return and see where water comes out-where exactly should I be looking?

15. Back To Top    #15

If that pipe goes somewhere to the outside of the pool (like and overflow port or an autofill) you should see water showing up there. If that pipe is dead-end capped (or valved off) somewhere you won't see anything. If you can stuff a rag around the hose at the pipe opening to fill the gap and allow more pressure, that may help with this process. If rag ends up getting pushed out by water pressure, the line is likely closed.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

16. Back To Top    #16

Do most pools have an overflow port or an autofill? I'm not familiar with either and am not aware my pool has this, or maybe it does and I didn't know. I'll try the rag around the hose bit. That makes sense. Thanks!

17. Back To Top    #17

Some do some don't, autofills are common in places such as arizona due to the high evaporation, where overflows might be more common in florida (and maybe michigan too) where there is a lot of rain.