Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diving board stand rusting

1. Back To Top    #1

Diving board stand rusting

Hi there. Have a diving board made by a popular manufacturer with a metal base. Problem is that the base gets exposed to water and starts rusting. Every year I have to remove it. sand/ strip off the old paint/ primer and start over. Been using the Rust-Oleum Primer and White enamel. But truth is, it holds up poorly with exposure to water, and I have to repaint it every winter.

Water also gets underneath it, between the cement and the flat part of the base, and rust just gets worse. I don't rust to eat away and weaken the metal in the base or I will have to buy a new one.

Question: Is there a paint/ primer product that is durable? I found a few automotive products but I don't know if they will work for this application...
    35,000 gal pool, Pebble-Tec, Pentair VF pump, DE filter, Aqua Rite SWG, Pentair Minimax Heater in Southern California

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diving board stand rusting

Your best bet is to find someone that powder coats and clean it really well and have it powder coated. Either that, or have a new one built out of stainless steel. You could also have it nickel plated, but I'm not sure it will hold up much better.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Powder coating would be good like said above. You could also try a paint called POR-15, which does really well with rust. Maybe even have it sprayed with bedliner type material. I think Linex even sells a white version of their liner.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Powder coating or look for the two-part epoxy coating used above deck on boats. I talked to a guy about powder coating and he said his oven would take too long to heat it to be worth his while to do it, but you may have better luck.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Primo Powder Coating and Sandblasting is loacated in Huntington Beach if you are close enough. I've had them powder coat several bikes throughout the years. They will sandblast it clean, and then powder coat it so you do not have to do any labor sanding the stand.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

POR-15 is decent but can't survive exposure to UV rays. A coating of that will stop the rust then you can paint over that. Bedliner material is pretty durable, but the stuff in spray cans is junk. If you take the piece to a shop that sprays in the liners, they might be able to shoot it when they paint a truck bed.

I ended up buying a saltwater board setup to avid this as everyone with a salt pool seemed to have the same problem. Of course all three required components cost almost $1,000. That buys a lot of paint.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

7. Back To Top    #7

Well the base of this S.R. Smith board came with power coating, lasted about 3 seasons then I had to paint it again. Wish it was made out of stainless, would have been well worth the money.

I will see if there is a company that can do power coating near where I live in SoCal. Otherwise, I will try one of the automotive products.

Thanks for the replies.
    35,000 gal pool, Pebble-Tec, Pentair VF pump, DE filter, Aqua Rite SWG, Pentair Minimax Heater in Southern California

8. Back To Top    #8

Mine seems to have more if a plastic/rubber coat than hard powder coating.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Well does it prevent rust?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Herculiner comes in gray. It is very durable and easy to apply if you can deal with gray. It can be applied thick enough that you don't have to worry about scratching through the coating when removing or installing the board.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

11. Back To Top    #11

Your biggest problem will be stopping the rust that had already begun. Rust is difficult to stop once it starts. If you use a product like POR15 which encapsulates it to block oxygen it will effectively be stopped. Then a coating of roll-on (not spray can) bed liner will probably hold up for a while.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I've also heard of a rust converter product (I've never used it) But Regardless if you follow bedliner instructions you should be fine. As some of those instructions require the removal of all rust and the surface to be rough. So basically you will be sanding until you see shiny metal and then quickly apply the bedliner material etc.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

13. Back To Top    #13

Mine rusted in the first year, I had it sandblasted and powder coated, its on year two now and there are a couple small rust spots but much better than the original. I also considered having it hot dip galvanized but went powder instead, I think the hot dip would be more durable in the long run.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.