Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vertical clearance to remove lid from FNS 60 filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vertical clearance to remove lid from FNS 60 filter?

I am planning on building a free standing slanted type roof over my equipment pad. I want this to keep the hot summer sun from fading/ damaging equipment and the winter rain off it as well. My main concern with adding a roof is the vertical height required to pull the cover off the Pentair FNS 60 filter. The manual says it needs 84" , which seems insane (does that include the helicopter). Anybody have some real world experience with pulling the lid over the grids at angle that would bring the height down a little. I included a picture of my equipment pad, just to give you an idea of what is located around the filter.

Any help would be appreciated...

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vertical clearance to remove lid from FNS 60 filter?

I have the shorter version of your filter, and I don't think they're kidding about vertical clearance. The grids are right up against the sides, so there isn't much room to tilt the lid sideways.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I have the shorter version of your filter, and I don't think they're kidding about vertical clearance. The grids are right up against the sides, so there isn't much room to tilt the lid sideways.
    After watching a few filter servicing videos on youtube, I think you are right. I might have to come up with another strategy like maybe a hinged roof section above the filter housing.

On a side note, I noticed you located in the same city. What are you doing to manage higher CH levels? I maintain the PH at 7.2 -7.5 and keep the TA at 60-65. I was able to keep my CH at 260 -340 all the way through summer, but now I'm measuring at 370 -390. I'm afraid my CH is going to run way up if I don't start dumping water. Any thoughts on this?
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You could assemble a hinged roof, either one part or two part. Two part would allow the hinged roof to be directly over the filter while the other side is fixed. One part would lift the whole roof but might be pretty heavy.

Oops, I see you have already thought of that!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang
    On a side note, I noticed you located in the same city. What are you doing to manage higher CH levels? I maintain the PH at 7.2 -7.5 and keep the TA at 60-65. I was able to keep my CH at 260 -340 all the way through summer, but now I'm measuring at 370 -390. I'm afraid my CH is going to run way up if I don't start dumping water. Any thoughts on this?
    I don't think my CH has ever been that low! I do just what you're doing with low TA and pH at the low end. I also use pool water on the lawn. Same usage, it just goes through the pool first. And I capture as much rainfall as I can by diverting the downspout to the pool. If we'd ever get some decent rain....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    You could assemble a hinged roof, either one part or two part. Two part would allow the hinged roof to be directly over the filter while the other side is fixed. One part would lift the whole roof but might be pretty heavy.

Oops, I see you have already thought of that!
    Even though my background is engineering, I have to credit my wife with the hinged roof idea. In my head, the hinged area would be an area where water could leak through. In reality, a few drips of water aren't a big deal, since my equipment is working great with buckets of rain coming down on it..

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Hinged at the back underneath a small overhang would keep the hinge dry. Metal flashing at the seam is pretty easy to make virtually waterproof.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

did you ever build the roof? we are doing the same thing, building a shed frame around the equipment. I have a Hayward DE 6020, the manual shows 22" clearance needed above the relief valve. Anybody taking apart the same filter lately have an idea about the clearance?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir