I just purchased a home with a large pool. Existing equipment is in my signature. I have read through many posts but appears that best thing to do is create my own and get some personalized feedback.
1. Replace my existing Pentair Whisperflo 1.5HP pump with a Pentair VS or 2speed pump. Currently, I'm running 8 hours pump time but that's based upon previous pool guy and Leslie's recommendation. I would assume pump time needs to increase with higher summer use. I'm sticking with Pentair brand. In addition, the jacuzzi has a Pentair Whisperflo pump too so I'll have a backup Jaccuzi pump when I replace my pool pump. I've been told that I will need the Pentair Intellicomm adapter to interface with my AquaLink RS and can obtain 4 speeds with that upgrade for the VS.
2. I'm firing the pool guy and he's taking the Hayward XL pool cleaner that is his. I would like to purchase an electric robot to run my new pump at it's lowest output but still allow the chlorine generator to work. Heater will only be used for spa, so I'm not worried about.
1. What is the lowest setting I can run my "new" pump to allow the chlorinator to generate and maintain maximum energy efficiency?
2. Is the Pentair VS 3HP more power than I'll need? If so, what HP 2 speed pump would you recommend 1,1.5?
3. Will the low speed on a 2 speed pump allow the chlorinator to generate?
4. Will I really ever need 4-8 speeds to operate my pool more efficiently than my current setup or will a 2 speed create the same type of energy savings.
5. Will I need an control system upgrade adapter if I choose a 2 speed pump?
6. If I add solar in the future, how much more power will I need to pump the water up to the solar and how long will I have to run at higher speeds to accomplish that?
7. I'm looking for a robot to clean my pool that includes stairs that run the width of one side (30+ feet). My pool is basically a 42'x22' rectangle with another 14'x14'x14' triangle on one end. Seems like the Dolphin Supreme M4 has the best ratings. How many days a week should I run the robot and for how long? Do they make robots that just stay in the pool versus removing every time?
Any insight or recommendations would be amazing. Thank you