Pentair ic40 Chlorinator

Aug 28, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
It's about time to replace my pentair SWG I think. See previous thread if anyone has any additional ideas how to save my SWG ( pentair-intellichlor-ic40-t69258.html )

If buying a new one is the case, does anyone have any suggestions where to buy? My current (soon to be cancelled) pool service is willing to charge me $550 for the hardware and installation. Considering they charged me $190 for 50 minutes of work ( They replaced an actuator and temperature sensor ), I'm a little wary of what the actual IC40 costs. Looking at what it would take to replace the piece, I can definitely do that myself, however, the cheapest price I'm finding online is about $523.

Is that about right? Is there somewhere I should look for a cheaper price?

Thanks in advance.

Do you know how old the cell is?
When was the last time it was cleaned?

If it hasn't been cleaned recently, I'd try cleaning it first.

Did you ever add any CYA to the pool?

Can you post a current set of results?

According to that last thread we don't know if the SWG was fixed. How has the pool been chlorinated since August and why do you think the cell needs to be replaced?

The water balance was off for using a SWG and could lead to problems that make it seem that the SWG is not producing chorine when in reality it is.

What all is included in their price?

We need test results.

Right now, the spool guy has been adding liquid chlorine and leaving me a half bottle to add during the week.

No the Cholrinator wasn't fixed. I called Pentair and the Red Light led the Pentair Rep to say the SWG was dead.

Right now the water is balanced as follows:

Total Hardness 500
Combined Available Chlorine 5.0
Free Available Chlorine 5.0
Water pH 7.5
Total Alkalinity 90
Cyanuric Acid 0
Phosphate 400
Salt 3200

I've been in and out of town for work and have continuously told the pool company about the hardness and CYA problem, but nothing seems to be done about it.

Cell has been cleaned twice by me and looks good. The pool was built by previous owners and if the Cholrinator was installed when pool was built, that would deb 2008.

Instllation is included with the price of the unit.

Those look like test strip numbers which typically are wrong, so us giving you advice on those would not be a good idea. Take a look at the pool school article on appropriate test kits. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

If that cell is original to 2008, then I think you have gotten good life out of it. Typically cells last 3-5 years, so it seems likely that your cell needs replacing. How big is your pool?

Our Pool is 12,000 gallons.

You're right. Those numbers are test strips. I'll get a test kit as soon as I can.

Right now I have a floater with Chlorine tablets in the pool. Plan to cancel service this week.

Is it worth getting a new Chlorinator, or should I make the salt water pool a Chlorine pool? Or is this a matter of preference?

Make sure you get one of the Recommended Test Kits.

The tablets seem to be fine for now ... ASSUMING your CYA is in fact very low ... this may be a bad assumption. Have you read these already?
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

A new cell for the SWG is your option ... depends if you are going to be available to add some chlorine every day or if you want the convenience of the SWG doing it for you.

BTW, a SWG pool is a chlorine pool ... the chemistry is the same.

I really like the convenience of my swg, but either way works if you keep a proper eye on the chemistry. Replacing a swg cell is pretty straightforward...I would probably just go with another IC40 and install it yourself (a pretty easy diy project) I would make no assumptions about your cya level since test strips are almost always wrong on that number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.