Protect Fiberglass Steps for Winter?

Jul 6, 2013
This will be my first winter with a pool so I'm working out all of the closing details. Most of it seems pretty straightforward, but I'm wondering if I need to do anything special for the fiberglass steps. The paperwork with the steps discussed using a cluster of empty plastic bottles, like chlorine jugs, as a cushion for the ice to limit pressure on the walls of the steps. The jugs would be weighted down so that they floated half submerged in the center of the steps. I haven't seen this discussed on this forum so I thought I'd get some advice from experienced pool owners. Is this something I should do? I actually just recycled 4 chlorine jugs without thinking so I may need to go find something else if it's required.

We used to get winters here but not so much anymore. Building backyard rinks is big in my town, but lately they have only been frozen enough to use maybe a week out of the winter.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will set up the jugs for this year just in case and see if they get crushed. I will have some antifreeze jugs after I winterize the plumbing. If the jugs survive the winter without getting squashed I guess they aren't needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.