Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi from Fort Worth, Tx

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi from Fort Worth, Tx

Hello, my name is Carman and we are about to install an IG pool. We are excited and nervous all at the same time. I found this site while searching out pros and cons to using a SWG. Looks like a lot of great info and people on here, and I look forward to learning more about how to take care of our new pool, through this forum.
    Carman
    17K gallon IG pool w/Spa, 400,000 BTU Propane Hayward Heater, StoneScapes finish w/sealed Oklahoma Flagstone coping and tanning ledge, Hayward Aquarite Salt System, 60ft D.E. filter, Hayward Tristar 2 HP 2 speed pump, Polaris 280, Pro Logic PS4 w/freeze guard. New build December 2013. Pool gets full sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi from Fort Worth, Tx

Welcome to TFP!!!

There are a lot of Texans here and a few currently builds in your area going on as well.

Be sure to read through Pool School and get yourself one of the Recommended Test Kits so you can start off with the knowledge to not rely on a pool store for the chemistry.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome to TFP!!!

There are a lot of Texans here and a few currently builds in your area going on as well.

Be sure to read through Pool School and get yourself one of the Recommended Test Kits so you can start off with the knowledge to not rely on a pool store for the chemistry.

Thanks jblizzle! I'm all about not relying on a pool store. When we lived in the Houston area, we bought a house with a pool and used a pool store for all of our education...spent way too much money and used way too many chemicals. Wish I had found this forum 5 years ago. Hard to live in Texas and not have a pool, or access to one.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks duraleigh!
    Carman
    17K gallon IG pool w/Spa, 400,000 BTU Propane Hayward Heater, StoneScapes finish w/sealed Oklahoma Flagstone coping and tanning ledge, Hayward Aquarite Salt System, 60ft D.E. filter, Hayward Tristar 2 HP 2 speed pump, Polaris 280, Pro Logic PS4 w/freeze guard. New build December 2013. Pool gets full sun.

5. Back To Top    #5

jblizzle, I see you have a heliocol solar heater. I ran across their website yesterday doing some research on pool heaters. Can you tell me about your experience with it? Did you install this during the pool build or after? Also, would it be sufficient for heating the pool water from say in the 50's up to somewhere in the 80's or higher? We heated our pool using a natural gas heater last Christmas for a couple of days so the grand kids could swim and we had so much fun we'd love to do it every year. Now that we have moved to a rural area we have a propane tank instead of NG and we've been told we would empty our tank within a few hours if we tried to heat the pool. What would you suggest?
    Carman

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome from Longview, Tx Carmen!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

First house I had the solar installed a few years after the house and pool were built. Current house we bought used and I did the solar install myself with some used panels I found on Craigslist.

There is no way they will raise the water from 50 into the 80s. They are good for slightly extending the season in the spring and fall and boosting the temp some in the summer if needed. In the summer mine are not used at all as the water is already warm enough. If you add a cover to the pool, that will help a good bit to maintain the heat. In April (I think) I was getting about a 5 degree temperature rise throughout the day, but was losing about the same overnight with no cover.

Solar will not allow you to just quickly heat up the pool in the winter. I am about to shut off mine as the water is not really warm enough anymore that anyone wants to swim, so why waste the electricity running the pump on high for the solar?

If that is something you want to do ... then you will need to get a bigger propane tank. There are some members here that use propane, but I am not sure how much gas is used.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

8. Back To Top    #8

Iam in ft Worth and i use a 400k BTU gas heater .
    it heats up the 500 gallon Spa From about 50 to 100 in about 30 -45min.
    it heats up a 30.000 gallon pool from 50 to 90 in about 2 days.
    but the downside is it cost about 120-160 a week to run !!!
    Up side is if we ever have a massive freeze like in 1989 , you can just turn it on and not worry about all your plumbling cracking ..
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to the forum

Note to self: Check to see if the Texans have outnumbered the Carolinians
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Seanhan
    Iam in ft Worth and i use a 400k BTU gas heater .
    it heats up the 500 gallon Spa From about 50 to 100 in about 30 -45min.
    it heats up a 30.000 gallon pool from 50 to 90 in about 2 days.
    but the downside is it cost about 120-160 a week to run !!!
    Up side is if we ever have a massive freeze like in 1989 , you can just turn it on and not worry about all your plumbling cracking ..

Thanks for the detailed info, Seanhan. Are you using natural gas or propane? If propane, what size tank do you have?
    Carman

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Welcome to the forum

Note to self: Check to see if the Texans have outnumbered the Carolinians

haha, Hi Butterfly. Thanks for the welcome!
    Carman

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    First house I had the solar installed a few years after the house and pool were built. Current house we bought used and I did the solar install myself with some used panels I found on Craigslist.

There is no way they will raise the water from 50 into the 80s. They are good for slightly extending the season in the spring and fall and boosting the temp some in the summer if needed. In the summer mine are not used at all as the water is already warm enough. If you add a cover to the pool, that will help a good bit to maintain the heat. In April (I think) I was getting about a 5 degree temperature rise throughout the day, but was losing about the same overnight with no cover.

Solar will not allow you to just quickly heat up the pool in the winter. I am about to shut off mine as the water is not really warm enough anymore that anyone wants to swim, so why waste the electricity running the pump on high for the solar?

If that is something you want to do ... then you will need to get a bigger propane tank. There are some members here that use propane, but I am not sure how much gas is used.
    This is all great to know, thank you so much for the reply, jblizzle.

And to all of those who have welcomed me to the forum, thank you so much!
    Carman

15. Back To Top    #15

Natural gas
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

16. Back To Top    #16

Welcome to tfp, clw72
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

Welcome to the forum Carman! I am about to start digging here in Midland pretty soon. Glad you found us.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks brushpup! Good luck on your build. Looking forward to updates & pics.

Carman