Inground Vinyl Liner Leak

Oct 28, 2013
I have a leak in my inground pool liner and was planning on replacing the liner this spring. Should I go ahead and empty the pool totally now and plan for the new liner in the spring? or should I have the current leaking fixed to avoid any damage under the pool.

The liner is 8yrs old and badly faded around the water line. The leaking is from the deep end where the liner has wrinkled and there are multiple cracks in the wrinkles. It also looks to have pulled away slightly from the drain. Thanks. Stephane

Depending somewhat on where you live, that could simply be evaporation and not a leak.

I would surely not drain the pool but just keep it filled until it is time to replace the liner.

Virginia....definetly not evaporation....leak may be closer to 1/2 " a day.....don't want to keep filling with water all winter. How much damage is caused underground or to the vermiculite if left leaking until April? I thought that maybe winterizing and lowering the pool level might reduce the leaking and I could get by until spring? Thanks.

Thanks duraleigh and swimcmp, I'm going to place a clear plastic bag of salt over and area that I think is the problem and hopefully that will slow down the draining until spring. Then a new liner. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.