Auto Cover water levels

Aug 4, 2011
The pool company closed my pool last week. They normally leave my water levels about 2/3 - 3/4 up the skimmer but they said they were doing it different this year and drained water to just below skimmer. I asked if the cover would still support the weight of snow and they said it would still be resting on water. They said they didn't fully trust the gizmos any more so that is why they changed it. Does this sound ok? Thanks!

Without knowing your general location that is a tough question to answer. In Missouri where I am we close about 150 pools. Almost every one has either an Aquadoor lid or a Skimmer plug with a Gizzmo. We do not drain water down, we leave them at operational level. I personally wouldn't want to drain a pool with a cover on it, kind of defeats the reason of having a cover.

I think it's good to note here for others that the option to not lower water in areas where it freezes does not apply to gunite pools (AFAIK). The tiles will likely pop if the water is not lowered. No problem for vinyl and fiberglass so long as the skimmer is properly sealed, etc.

Sorry, I'm also in Missouri and this is the first year they lowered the water below the skimmer. they put the gizmos in too but said to be safe they were lowing the water this year. I'm just worried my cover will sag too much and become damaged.

We have used gizzmos for a long time and as far as I know we have never had an issue with them. Personally I would want the cover supported as much as possible. We had a doctor that once the pool was winterized he never looked at the pool til spring. Cover pump quit working one big snow fall and the weight pulled the track off the deck and cover into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.