Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: POOL LOCATION- Please Help

1. Back To Top    #1

POOL LOCATION- Please Help

Does anyone know if the IRC says you must have your pool a minimum of 10 feet from the house? The code and zoning company hired by my borough is saying that the IRC (international residential code) does not permit a swimming pool closer then 10 feet and no pool can be closer then that. Obviously it is ideal to have at least 10 feet, but I know of quite a few pools closer then 10 feet.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is true. I asked her to send me a copy of where it says that, cause I sure can't find it and they have yet to send it.

If anyone is familiar, please help.

Thanks!!!
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: POOL LOCATION- Please Help

I did a quick scan over the IRC and can't find it. It may be a local zoning thing. City's adopt the IRC but can add and modify to suit the local needs. I know the city I am by says 3 ft setback from property line, minimum equal depth to distance from structures to leading edge. The only thing I did find is pools inside a structure with glazing material on the walls "glass panels" and the min setback shows 5 ft. If they do show you and it is from IRC, post the reference.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

3. Back To Top    #3

Where I live it's 6' and I can tell you that the inspector never get it a thought, in some locations inspectors only worry about the serious things and not the trivial, others are sticklers for details.
    Ask your local planning dept, they'll let you know.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

4' from property line where I live, fences required and the 4' ensures anyone who climbs the opposite side of the fence, can fall off it and hit deck, not water (Although I would rather fall into a pool then a concrete deck )

5. Back To Top    #5

Just FYI, the IRC does NOT have a foundation setback for swimming pools. My borough also does not have one. They hired a company to take it over, they said they don't care and sent me a denied permit citing it MUST be ten feet or I need to provide a signed and sealed report from a structural engineer saying otherwise.

I'm just at my wits end. I know this is not a popular thread but if anyone has any articles, info from installers etc., please share. I'm going to go to a borough meeting in a May and talk to to them and see what they say.

Meanwhile my 18 round and paid for Doughboy sits.

Thanks!!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Personally for the liability of it I wouldn't want a pool that close to a house. Cost me 20,000 for lawyers to defend us in a lawsuit for someone jumping off a deck that was less than ten foot away.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool is very close to my garage and I was told it did not matter where I put it and how close to the house/garage I had it as long as I stayed out of the right a way. My step son mentioned that it would be sweet to jump off the garage roof into the pool. I told him I would take the pool down if anyone attempted it so don't even think about it!!!!!

Taken in Feb 14 to show how close to garage it is.

Taken after install. I needed to fix the cap on the roof and took the pic because I was already up there.

This was the only place I could put a pool in our yard. I went a large as I could and tried to keep it as far away from the garage and right a way as possible.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter