Adding a auto leveler

Oct 28, 2013
Florida
My pool currently "auto drains", I don't know what to technically call it but if we get a good rain, the pool will overflow to my yard via a pipe. My question is, can I use this pipe and put in some type of auto fill system that will both fill and allow for overflow?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Not a true auto-fill you can't. The auto-fills with a float valve require a pipe connection to the water that is always under the water to equalize the water level between the pool and the valve (which is usually in a buried bucket next to the pool). Some of these buckets also integrate an overfill pipe.

Sounds like you just have a pipe that is supposed to be right above the water level.

Can you provide some more detail? Like where is the overflow pipe in the pool?

Attached are some pictures of the pipe. In the picture of the pool it's toward the center of the image, under water. The picture outside is where water starts flowing out when the pool reaches a certain level.[attachment=0:2wnuz1ii]1.jpg[/attachment:2wnuz1ii][attachment=1:2wnuz1ii]IMG_2151.jpg[/attachment:2wnuz1ii]

Attachments

• IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 97
AH!!! Well since the pipe is underwater, then I think you could modify it to be an autofill.

You will need to buy the bucket and float valve. And then dig up that drain and attach the pipe to the auto-fill bucket. Many have places in the bucket to hook up a pipe for overflow so you could keep that option as well. Hopefully you have a fresh water source nearby that you can hook into the float valve.

Generally there is a anti-siphon and shut-off valve installed on the fill line before the auto-fill to prevent pool water being able to back up into the fresh water source.

Welcome to tfp, fiddelke :wave:

How fast is the evaporation in your part of Australia?

Just a thought...we have had numerous people that post here having chemistry issues due to changing levels only to find out that their autofill was masking a leak.

Sorry, I hadn't filled out my profile yet, I'm in Florida. The pool is still relatively new. If I heat my pool and we get some cool nights I will lose a lot of water because of evaporation. I turned my heater off because I have burned out a couple of pumps already because I hadn't paid attention to the water level. Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

This raises some other questions. How are your suction lines plumbed? Is the floor directly to the pump or to the skimmer? If to the skimmer, do you have a float diverter under the skimmer basket (looks like a space ship)? If so, it should offer some protection to the pump if the water level drops below the skimmer.

On the suction side I have three valves before the pump. The "main drain", skimmer and cleaner. If the water level gets below the skimmer, it makes a horrible sucking air noise. I'm assuming this means I don't have any protection, is that something I can add at this point?

So everything is directly to the pump. For general filtration, how do you have those valves set?

The only way you would have some protection would be if they installed an equalizer line from the second hole in the skimmer down to a hole in the pool. If they did not, then you will always be pulling some air through the skimmer if the water level gets too low. Although if the floor valve was also open, you could hope that it keeps pulling enough water to from the floor to not destroy the pump ... but it sounds like this is not the case.

Seems like you either need to look at your pool more often and keep enough water in it or add the auto-fill and hope it does not eventually mask a leak. I would not think you should be losing enough water to drop below the skimmer unless you ignored it for a couple weeks.

Both those valves are typically wide open. When I open the cleaner valve I have to close off the skimmer and main drain a little to create enough suction for my cleaner. I would say that two weeks is about accurate :). Thanks for your help!.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The chemicals get checked weekly. I'm more concerned about keeping water in it this time of year. When i heat the pool the kids swim in it more, so if they get a little crazy and I get a cold night, it's possible for the level to get pretty low fairly quick. At the end of the day it's a pain to drag the hose around to put water in the pool. I was thinking a leveler would be a fun project if it was feasible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.