Need opinion on construction issue, out of level

mgarf33

Oct 27, 2013
I can't stop stirring about this problem. I need some suggestions.
My inground 36x18 x 8' deep end liner pool has been installed, and as the water was filling it was noticeably out of level.
When it was completely filled I measured 1" low on one deep end corner, 3/4" on the other deep corner, and 1/4" low on the one shallow corner. The other shallow corner is the highest part.
The liner has printed tiles, and it really makes the level issue look worse.
The builder is looking at shimming the plastic walls and raising the coping to re-level.
The deck has not been poured yet so that's good. Unfortunately, the return jets and skimmers have all been cut in.
I don't see how this repair is going to work without distorting the liner.
Any suggestions on how to take care of this properly?
I've spent nearly 30k so far on this project, and this was supposed to be my great investment for my family home. I feel like my savings was blown!

That does suck. Honestly, leveling the liner track if properly done won't be a problem but I would tell the builder he owes you a new liner. If the liner is going to be stretched an inch between a return and the liner track it will be weakened quite a bit.

A decent compromise that might not impact the liner at all would be to split the difference.

Make the lowest corner come up 1/2".

1/2" out of level will be difficult for anyone to see and would not compromise the liner stretch at all.

Out of level is not right but 1/2 " out of level I would consider acceptable if the visual impact was not too much.

diyindux said:
That does suck. Honestly, leveling the liner track if properly done won't be a problem but I would tell the builder he owes you a new liner. If the liner is going to be stretched an inch between a return and the liner track it will be weakened quite a bit.

Good point. I need to have him write up an agreement to warranty the liner in the respected stretched areas.

duraleigh said:
A decent compromise that might not impact the liner at all would be to split the difference.

Make the lowest corner come up 1/2".

1/2" out of level will be difficult for anyone to see and would not compromise the liner stretch at all.

Out of level is not right but 1/2 " out of level I would consider acceptable if the visual impact was not too much.

Yes, we've agreed to 3/4". It's actually a bit over an inch, ~ 1-1/8"

Your a very nice person. I would not be too willing to compromise with a professional on pool elevations. I built my own pool and it's within 1/4 inch.

Hopefully he will throw in some extra chemicals or something else to make up for it. You are saving him some money.

Well the problem is, what other solution is there? Tearing up the whole thing and removing the concrete frame base?
Trust me, I'm really frustrated with this. Being a master tradesman myself, I put in 110% at my job and I expect perfect, but realize that only happens if you do it yourself.
It really surprised me that no plumbing pressure testing was done. I had to make a rig and test it myself.
I thought $28k deserved a bit more attention to detail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.