Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness is almost non-existent

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness is almost non-existent

Is it normal for my water from my outside faucet to not have hardly any CH in it? I tested it as I was filling up my spa with my Taylor K-2006 and the CH is only about 10. Is this normal. I live in Southern Indiana and like the rest of the country we have had a lot of rain lately so could that be the cause. I am going to buy some calcium chloride to increase it but this just seems so low.
    18 x 40 inground pool, 27,000 gallons Built in 2012. Vinyl with a SWG. SwimClear cartridge filter by Hayward C3030, Aqua Rite SWG T-Cell 15. Hayward SP2610X15.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Calcium Hardness is almost non-existent

Do you have a well or is it municipal water? Low ch is not that unusual in municipal water.

What is your pool water CH? Since you liner is vinyl, I wouldn't worry about adding CH.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Vinyl liners DON'T require any CH. Save your money.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

For your spa which is likely acrylic, you would only need CH if you found the water to foam too much. Raising the CH to around 120-150 ppm can help reduce foaming.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"