Need help closing, I have Conflicting Info.

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
I was closing my pool and was approached by my neighbor who said, why are you doing it like that?

I am following the posted steps on this site:
1. get chemicals in order
2. bring to shock level
3. let it fall back down close to normal CH level
4. add poly 60 and let it circulate 30 min
5. drop water 4 inches below the returns...
stopping here

he said to drop below the skimmer, then blow the lines and plug while air is coming out...

I ask this because this year when I opened the liner was floating and I had to fool with it for a few days to get it back down (ripped the liner while messing with it, and had some wrinkles on the bottom). He said to add the thing to the skimmer and fill it back up to normal height after all the plugs are in.

what do you folks think I should do? Im sorta stuck at this point. Should I just do what I did last year (4 inches below the skimmer) or should I drop it and plug it and fill it back up?

thanks

I did it your way for a few years and then tried it your neighbor's way. Still doing it that way. My water is cheap and I like to get rid of CYA for next spring and it's a lot easier to blow returns when the water level is below. Both systems work. It's up to you. Blowing with the lines underwater is sort of a pain and does not seem as effective--but I never had a problem.

my way seems best, but I do have a problem with the liner floating, which is why I am questioning it. I currently am stuck... have the water just above the returns and the pump turned off... looking for more feedback. I guess I can just deal with a floating liner agn if that happens? or should I fill it back up after I blow the lines out?

:(

I just drop 2 inches below skimmer and blow the lines, my returns are under water, so when they bubble, I plug them.

You can do it either way but if my liner was floating because I took to much water out, I think I would stop that.

myrddin said:
Thanks... I will try to drop it 2 inches below the skimmer and plug the returns under water. You think I should add water back as well?

I don't and the reason is because I don't like to get water in the skimmer box and dilute the AF that I put in there to begain with.

If we get more rain before a freeze and the water gets close to the skimmer mouth, I will lower it back to where it was with a siphon or a electric pump.

Some will say you don't need to do that if you have gizzmos or something else in there. But I sleep better doing it my way. And it's easy to lower with a siphon or elec. pump. Cheap insurance.

thanks buddy for the info... I will give it a shot and see how it works out this year... your area is a lot colder than mine, so seems like it should be fine. Do you just use the regular rubber plugs with the nut in the middle? I might have more questions later on... thanks agn.

myrddin said:
thanks buddy for the info... I will give it a shot and see how it works out this year... your area is a lot colder than mine, so seems like it should be fine. Do you just use the regular rubber plugs with the nut in the middle? I might have more questions later on... thanks agn.

Yes that's all I use, black plug with wing nut. And tighten it down good so it expands.

How do I get the antifreeze into the returns if I have the water above them? I can dump it into the skimmer, and I can take apart a valve and add some to the main drain, but what about the two returns I have? they are sealed except the exit to the pool.

I have a problem, one of my returns never stops bubbling... what should I do?

the other two were fine, this is the shortest run, and will blow bubbles I think because of that slot someone made... My thoughts are, air comes out so water can get in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
myrddin said:
How do I get the antifreeze into the returns if I have the water above them? I can dump it into the skimmer, and I can take apart a valve and add some to the main drain, but what about the two returns I have? they are sealed except the exit to the pool.

Your returns and skimmers are on the same plumbing network.

Once you plug your returns and turn off the compressor, you can unscrew the plugs in the skimmer boxes and pour in the antifreeze.

You don't need to worry about pouring AF in the returns since there on the same lines as your skimmers.

myrddin said:

the other two were fine, this is the shortest run, and will blow bubbles I think because of that slot someone made... My thoughts are, air comes out so water can get in?

I guess I don't know what you mean about the bubbles comming out.

Is this happening while you have a black plug in and the compressor running.

yes so I have the compressor running (shop vac in my case) its blowing out the lines... the closest return bubbles first, when I add the blug (tried rubber as well as the plastic screw in type) it will not stop bubbling... it slows it down drasticly vut continues to bubble, the other two returns will seal up fine. if you look at that pic, it shows a notch, it seems to go from the outer lip all the way to the back, its not all the way through but enough to let air pass since the threads are not 100% sealed.

myrddin said:

After looking at the pic again, I can see where someone cut a hole or slot in the white plug that has a rubber o ring on it. This I think is your problem. You just need to get a new one.

That white plug should have no holes, and it should also have a black rubber o ring gasket that helps seals to the floor of your skimmer box.

myrddin said:
thats not the plug, its the return... there is a slot in the top of the return, I don't think I can take it off... its the part that the plug (or eyeball) would screw into.

Ok, I think I know what your saying.

On the return, when you remove the eyeball, there should be three pieces.

The round eyeball
The collar
The sleeve

If all three of these did not come out when you removed the eye ball.

Then that means the sleeve is still stuck in there.

You can check this by just looking at the place where the eyeball goes and if you see threads sticking out than that means the sleeve is still there and needs to come out.

That happens to mine and I use a set of channel locks and help it out.

I hope this makes since, If not my theory of your problem is wrong.

myrddin said:
I have all 3 pieces out, the part with the slot is the part the sleeve would screw into.

Yea , I see, it's like someone cut a small notch in the face where the eyeball screws into.

I guess you have to determine if that notch runs all the way thru the threads, you may never get a good seal if it does.

I may have found a way to plug it, but I dont like how I had to do this... I used my robot adapter (same size threads as the plug but deeper) I added a rubber plug to the center. I screwed it in till it bottomed out and tightened it up till the bubbles stopped.

thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.