Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water feature: to filter or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

water feature: to filter or not?

Hi, we're in the middle of the build and are going to have 3 sheer descents installed on a dedicated pump w/ a valve at each sheer to regulate flow. Do I want to run this line through a filter? Should the pump basket catch anything that may clog the sheer descent?

Thanks!
    28K IGP, AquaPure 1400 SWG, Inteliflow filtration, Inteliflow spa, pentair 1.5HP water feature pumps, pentair cartridge filter, 2.5 / 3" plumbing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water feature: to filter or not?

The water should be routed through the pool filter before it goes through the water feature. The pump baskets will catch large debris but will not catch finer debris that could accumulate and clog the water feature.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response!

Since the feature is going to have it's own dedicated pump, how do you plumb this through the filter w/o impacting ability to use pool/spa when the sheers are running? Or do I need a second filter?

Thanks!
    28K IGP, AquaPure 1400 SWG, Inteliflow filtration, Inteliflow spa, pentair 1.5HP water feature pumps, pentair cartridge filter, 2.5 / 3" plumbing.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

how do you plumb this through the filter w/o impacting ability to use pool/spa when the sheers are running?
    Is this a DIY or a Pool Builder? What does he say?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

PB doesn't think it needs to be filtered... as, with everything pool related, I'm getting a lot mixed recommendations So, i'm trusting, but verifying everything that's being said... WRT to plumbing question, i'm wondering if there's a way to share the filter or if I ask to run sheers through the filter, PB's going to tell me to buy another filter...