Add antifreeze to skimmer lines after closing already done?

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
Can I add AF to the skimmer lines after a closing is fully completed?

My new pool was closed by the builder a couple of weeks ago, and I remember seeing AF go into the main line to the pool, and the line from the booster pump to the pool. All lines were blown out, and my skimmers each have a gizmo in them. Water level is just below the skimmer. But I don't recall seeing him add AF to the skimmer line now that I think about it. I'll ask him tomorrow, but in case he didn't, can I just unscrew the gizmo in each skimmer, pour in some AF, and rescrew the gizmo? There isn't an air lock in there or anything is there, that I could screw up by removing the gizmos? He didn't blow the skimmer lines out from the gizmo, but rather from the filter return port.

Thanks

Re: Add antifreeze to skimmer lines after closing already do

Thanks. I checked with my builder today, and he said he did add AF in there. Always does. I vaguely remember seeing it, possibly only in the deep end skimmer, but both skimmers tie together. The lines were blown out. You think I should bother? Peace of mind maybe, to add a little more?

Re: Add antifreeze to skimmer lines after closing already do

Got it done just now. Unscrewed the gizmos, poured an extra 1/2 gallon in each side (made me feel better), put some fresh plumbing tape on the gizmos, and screwed em back in. Piece of cake. Wasn't sure how tight to screw them down, so I went nice and snug without crushing/stripping the threads. Seems like it was. They didn't seem overly tight when I unscrewed them. I would imagine if the skimmer was full of water in the winter, some leak by is possible in all cases, but the AF is the extra line of protection. The gizmos don't seem like a super seal, but maybe the softer pliable plastic lets them seal better than it seems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.