adding two sheer decent DIY

chris fox

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 3, 2013
Phoenix area
I am contemplating on adding two sheer decent during my IG pool remodel. Jandy and Zodiac offer competitive units and both look pretty basic to install(per PDF illustrated drawings). The water decents would fit on the upper edge of a raised wall.
The remodel has a built 2' block bond beam added deck(based on my structural engineer plans).
The pool has 3 motors for IG cleaning, filtration and for spa. I plan to tie into the spa which is attached to the pool and separated by a dam wall. The spa has 3hp motor which will give me plenty of water flow. I plan to tie in at the motor with a valve(spa or water feature)into the return while suction would be coming from the spa.(see pic)
So all in all it appears to be pretty basic in my head on paper.

Anyway my question is, has anyone done this to give some guidance? Specifically water flow to each decent. I understand the split to each decent should be equally "T" to each decent.
Second how to produce splash(noise) at 2' above water. One of the main reasons for the water features is to create splash to drown out a street behind the house.

After searching on the site I haven't been able to find anyone adding a water feature(sheer decent) to a IG remodel.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• water feature2.jpg
    water feature2.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 259
Some pictures of the overall setup would be nice.

Some concerns:

You are drawing from the spa, are you returning to the spa?

Are you wanting this to drown out the street while in the spa?

It's impossible to predict the sound level. But a waterfall with more random obstructions are usually louder and more noticeable

No the water is being drawn form the spa but wanting to have the option to split line - to return to the spa or to the water feature. Attached is a pic of the spa. The spa is at the same level with dam wall and equalizer tube for keeping water level between pool and spa.
Not sure I understand the drown the street comment? But if your referring to the volume yes I am a little concerned with too much water.
The water feature would be 2 - 2' wide sheers or rain(which would create the most sound - I know Jandy offers a version that an be adjusted.)

I would recommend that you use the filter pump for the descents rather than the spa That way you could run them and the spa at the same time and you won't be using heated spa water in the descents.

You don't say your pump size but I would think it could handle two. Jandy claims that most filter pumps can handle this. You need 12 gallons per minute per foot. What will your filter pump do?

gwegan, I am leaning to use the filter pump instead of the 3hp spa even though we don't use it often. I did some calculation for 3hp and right around 78GPM which might be too much for 2 - 18" sheers or 3 - 4" scuppers. Plus not the quietest or most efficient motor.
The filter pump motor is 1.5hp which I think will be ideal. The run to the scuppers is only 10-13'. I also found I have a better tie into the discharge line AFTER the DE filter using a 2 port Jandy valve.

I am suspecting with Jandy valves I can divert some water back through to the pool while 80% or more to the water feature.
Any other insights?
Thanks in advance...

Making purchase of the two 2' Jandy water features and having trouble deciding what will produce the most sound. Sheer decent, sheer curtain or sheer rain. The sheers will be mounted on bond beam wall about 26-28" above the water line. I am figuring about a 1' projection.
Suggestions?
Pics of remodel to follow..

Making purchase on 1 - 36" rainfall water feature. Looks like there only a few manufacturers, Jandy, Oreq and Natural Wonders. Natural Wonders are significantly less than Jandy and Oreq. Material is HD PVC. HAs anyone here used this brand?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.