Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover up skimmer lid holes in winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover up skimmer lid holes in winter

Hi all. Do people typically cover up the holes in their skimmer lids/covers in winter to stop rain and snow melt from getting into skimmers (and deck leaf canisters)? If so, how? Would think tape would not stick well and someone recommended a plastic bag, but would think there is a better (and more aesthetically pleasing) method?
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, TF-100 Test Kit, and, of course, Margaritaville Tahiti blender!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover up skimmer lid holes in winter

Quote Originally Posted by DOMO
    Hi all. Do people typically cover up the holes in their skimmer lids/covers in winter to stop rain and snow melt from getting into skimmers (and deck leaf canisters)? If so, how? Would think tape would not stick well and someone recommended a plastic bag, but would think there is a better (and more aesthetically pleasing) method?
    For my skimmer I cut a piece of plastic out a gallon freezer bag, put it over the hole and then put the cover on. I guess it would depend on the type of skimmer whether or not this would work for you.