Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump basket lid

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump basket lid

We have had our pool pump lid come undone twice now. Lots of wasted water and salt.

First time I was told, by our pool cleaning guy, it was back pressure from kids jumping and playing around. Check valve is in place and working on pool return.

Second time I was away and only discovered it four days after pool guy had been cleaning it. No one had been in pool

We have added four bags of salt. Salt level back to OK, but still a lot of green growing on walls.

Our pool guy is here once a week and does not close the pump lid fully (as per Pentair's instruction manual), as he says it's to hard to remove next time and the pump creates a vacuum when running.

Cartridge filter pressure; Start up= 27psi, normal running= 15psi

Any ideas on what else could be causing the lid to come undone by itself? Ways to stop it happening?

Thank you
    30k gal, IG Plaster, 520 sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS pump, Intellichlor IC40, Jandy AE-Ti heat pump
    Spa jets-Pentair 1.5hp pump.
    Water feature-Intelliflow VS, Hayward 120 sqft cartridge filter.
    Screenlogic, Intellibright LED lights, Pentair Easytouch control,
    New plaster, pumps, plumbing, solar panels and lights 11/2012.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump basket lid

Welcome to TFP.

The best way is to close it correctly like Pentair recommends. I don't know why the pool guy is complaining about it being hard to open. If I were you, I'd be complaining very loudly about losing all the water and chems.

There's a reason they say to be sure the pump basket lid handles should be in a particular orientation.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

My only thought was that your pool guy does not sound very good if that is what he thinks and does. Why not take control of your own pool for yourself?

BTW, if you have green on the walls you need to SLAM the pool. [slam:2yg3x2uz][/slam:2yg3x2uz]

Likely this is NOT the method that would be used by your "pool guy" to clear up the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, Jskiwi

Quote Originally Posted by Jskiwi
    Any ideas on what else could be causing the lid to come undone by itself? Ways to stop it happening?
    I have to agree with the others...this appears to be the problem "Our pool guy"
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the help.

Would love to be looking after the pool full time, but its at a holiday home in Hawaii. Could tell the wife I need to move there.

Sad thing is, the pool guy is the Pentair service rep.

Might be time for a change and figure out pool chemical stuff

Great site, thanks again
    30k gal, IG Plaster, 520 sqft Cartridge filter, Intelliflow VS pump, Intellichlor IC40, Jandy AE-Ti heat pump
    Spa jets-Pentair 1.5hp pump.
    Water feature-Intelliflow VS, Hayward 120 sqft cartridge filter.
    Screenlogic, Intellibright LED lights, Pentair Easytouch control,
    New plaster, pumps, plumbing, solar panels and lights 11/2012.

6. Back To Top    #6

The lid should always be put on properly. The lids are not difficult to put on or remove if they are kept clean and lubricated. No amount of pool use should ever cause the pump lid to come undone.

With a salt system, the chlorine level should be easy to maintain. There should not be algae in the pool.