New pool in Vegas.

G

I am finally looking to build. Two of my neighbors have just had pools done by two different contractors and both have had issues.

First they are paying $45K for 15x25 inground gunite pools. They are having flatwork and plants installed too, yet these prices seem high. They also have the waterfall type water features, one from the spa overflow into the pool and another with a wall that the water flows over. Are these features adding to the price?

What is the basic rule of thumb for cost for a gunite pool? I know with new home construction you can say about $100 per square foot as a general rule of thumb. Does this exist for pools?

As well, is it important to get a spa as part of the pool or is a simple pool good for resale?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Price is a very geographical thing, what I would pay in the Northeast would exceed that but it may be less in Texas. I would say the same thing goes for your example of building a house. Labor rates are different based on location. I would just suggest going with a builder you trust and a reasonable budget and you should be good.

Price varies considerably across the country and depends on the features ... adding automation control, VS pumps, SWG, water features (with maybe multiple pumps), a spa & heater, amount and type of decking, type of pool finish ... all impact the cost.

I am not sure you can come up with a rule of thumb, but with 2 recent builds next-door ... that gives you about the best idea you can get. If you already know what they paid, ask if they can provide you with a breakdown ... pool cost / spa / decking / landscaping / etc.

I also think that generally a pool should not be considered as an "improvement" expecting it to greatly increase the value of the house. There are a lot of people that do NOT want a pool and by adding one you have now removed them from the pool of buyers. While they may accept the pool at a comparable price to a house without one, they may not be willing to pay more.

I'm not aware of ever seeing price on a per sqft basis...
The features definitely do add to the price. I don't know the prices in the Vegas area but $45k for a gunite pool doesn't seem over the top to me. Gunite pools here in Houston start at about $40k and just go on up from there.
So many things affect the cost; local market area competition, size, type of finish, water features, spa/no spa, decking size, decking finish, equipment & automation options the list is almost endless.

Do you have a budget in mind? Take it to a local PB or two and see what they come back to you with.

The price you list for what you mention seems very much in line on average and cheaper than where I am. Of course a lot of new homes are 250+ per square, so it is very relative to where you are. Your market has been hard hit in the last several years, so I imagine prices are not back to peak there yet. Probably a very good time to build.

Prices vary dramatically by location. Additionally you are including the cost of the flatwork in the price. Concrete decking can easily be 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the pool.

I can't really comment on price because you don't tell us what the flatwork is.

Depending on the market, pool automation systems are included in the standard bid, in other parts of the country they are a high profit add on.

This has been the best year for pool builders since 2008 so expect the number of builders to increase and the prices to go up next year.

gwegan said:
This has been the best year for pool builders since 2008 so expect the number of builders to increase and the prices to go up next year.
It certainly seems like it's already happening in Houston. My PB told me recently when he swing by to check how we were getting on that if he were to build another pool similar to mine it would be 20% more expensive...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.