Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Testing My Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Testing My Water

I can't figure out how to create my own topic...??? I need help with my pool and need response please... I am a rookie at pool maint. And know absolutely nothing! I did read alot and bought the k-2006 test kit from Taylor and checked my cya levels which are thru the roof at 130ppm. Do I need to check the rest of the ph total chlorine and hardness to proceed or do I need to drain 60 percent as I'm being told????

19,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool
    1.5 horsepower pump
    Sp-740de Hayward FLO-selector filter
    Switching from pucks to BBB PLEASE HELP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Testing My Water

Easiest way to start a new topic is from the "Board Index"to go to a sub-forum such as "Just Getting Started" then select the "New Topic" button that is on the left towards the top.

Please post a full set of test results: FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, cya

See:http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-...ns-t10341.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew34
    I can't figure out how to create my own topic...??? I need help with my pool and need response please... I am a rookie at pool maint. And know absolutely nothing! I did read alot and bought the k-2006 test kit from Taylor and checked my cya levels which are thru the roof at 130ppm. Do I need to check the rest of the ph total chlorine and hardness to proceed or do I need to drain 60 percent as I'm being told????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're absolutely certain you did the CYA test correctly - and note that the scale doesn't have equidistant graduations, so if you think it's 130, it may well be 160 or more - then there isn't much point in testing everything and adjusting it if you're just going to be draining it out again soon. Have you read up on diluting the CYA sample and multiplying the readings? Accurate test results are critical to accurate treatment and dosing. Or in your case, draining.

That said, if you have a SWG, your target CYA could be about 70, which means less draining. If you live somewhere where you drain the pool partially over the winter anyway, then I'd do that and worry about the rest when you reopen in the spring. But if you're somewhere with a high water table - Florida and New Orleans come to mind - draining a whole bunch of water at once is not a good idea. So...how about filling out your signature as suggested by Linen?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard320 I don't have any of the info on my pool. It looks like a kidney bean from the measurements I took it says its around 19,000 gallons.
    Hayward FLO-selector filter(so-740de)
    1.5 hp. Pump (bluffton mtr.)
    I have no idea what else is needed to help me. Please inform me and I will get the info.
    I am in dallas Texas and was told they don't winterized pools around here.
    My pool is gunite
    19,000 gallon Gunite in ground pool
    1.5 horsepower pump
    Sp-740de Hayward FLO-selector filter
    Switching from pucks to BBB PLEASE HELP

5. Back To Top    #5

You did fine with the info.

Now run all the tests, and be sure to specify if that CYA test result was obtained by guesstimating, or by dilution and multiplication. Read - no, study - all the information listed under the CYA test in extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html especially the parts about if CYA is over 90 and repeated readings. And then we can help you sort things out based on facts.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!