New pool owner, previous tech let an algae bloom,rehire?

Oct 24, 2013
Brand new to pools, so learning a bunch (and very overwhelmed), but here's the story. I bought my home on 9/30, and a week later took my water sample to Texsun Pool to get analyzed. They were stunned at the Chlorine level, and we eventually found out that there was an algae bloom and the pool was super chocked. (texsun even asked if it was a salt pool because of presence of salt, but this is a Chlorine pool and always has been to my knowledge).

Here we are on 10/24 and the chlorine level still hasn't gone down.

So I bought a Taylor test kit, and have been struggling to comprehend everything (maybe I'm just dense), but I'm still open to having someone manage the chemistry for me.

Would you hire the previous technician if they let the pool get to where it is now?

Welcome to TFP.

Which Taylor kit do you have?
How do you normally chlorinate your pool? (tabs, Liquid, Etc?)
If tabs, are there any in the feeder?

The short answer to hiring the pool guy is no. BUT, I wouldn't hire any pool guy! You're much better off learning to take care of your pool yourself.
You have come to the right place to learn to do that, so you're off to a good start.

Let us know what kit you have and post a set of test results from it and we'll go from there.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I realize I need to add more details to my profile - I'll work on that today.

I have a Taylor K-2006 Complete (FAS-DPD chlorine) kit.

My pool has an inline tab feeder, and at the moment there are no tabs. After testing the water a week after I moved in, with chlorine levels being so high, I checked it and it was empty. I haven't added any yet.

The pool has visually remained gorgeous though, very clear. I know the chemistry is way off though.

Welcome to tfp, casastevo :wave:

As Bama said, please post a full set of test results from your kit: FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, cya.

I too, wouldn't dream of paying someone for something that is very easy to do (using the methods taught on here)...and you already have the right tool (k-2006)!

Welcome to the forum Stevo.

We can help you learn all you need to know and understand whatg is gong on in your pool. It can seem like a lot to learn, but if you take it slow and take small bites as you go, it really is quite simple. Free Chlorine, and pH are your two most important parameters to learn about and control first. Take a look at the ABC's of pool chemistry (link in my signature) and start there. Like the old addage walk before you crawl. None of were born knowing this stuff, so don't be overwhelmed with all the information out there, just take it in as you are comfortable. Ask questions, and let us know how we can help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can try it again if you guys want. I filled it to 25mL, added 2 drops of R-0007, nothing happened (expected). Then I added 5 drops of R-0008 and it turned a greenish color. (expected). So now I was at the point of adding the R-0009 expecting it to turn red, but it's just a yellow, pale color after 140 drops. Eeek. 140 drops.

I haven't done any adjustments whatsoever. I did stock up on shock and chlorine tablets though, but haven't used anything.

Sorry about that, yes, CA should be TA. Thanks for the suggestion on it, I'll go out and buy some tomorrow. How long should it take for my FC levels to drop? It's been nearly over 3 weeks now with elevated levels since the super shock. Is that normal?

We haven't swam in it though, and even had a couple of crazy rain last week. I figured it'd drop then, but it hasn't.

What I reported isn't weird? My local Texsun pools gave me the impression that my pool was toxic.

casastevo said:
How long should it take for my FC levels to drop? It's been nearly over 3 weeks now with elevated levels since the super shock. Is that normal?
Is the pool covered? If it is then take off the cover...this will allow what sunlight you are getting to help remove some of the chlorine. While you are waiting, I would perform a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT). See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

casastevo said:
What I reported isn't weird? My local Texsun pools gave me the impression that my pool was toxic.
Well 26 ppm FC at your cya level (60 ppm) is equivalent to about 1 ppm FC at 0 cya in terms of the "disinfecting chlorine" level. 1 ppm with 0 cya would be common in a public swimming pool. Most pool stores are clueless about the chlorine/cya relationship. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry and http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.