Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pool owner, previous tech let an algae bloom,rehire?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner, previous tech let an algae bloom,rehire?

Brand new to pools, so learning a bunch (and very overwhelmed), but here's the story. I bought my home on 9/30, and a week later took my water sample to Texsun Pool to get analyzed. They were stunned at the Chlorine level, and we eventually found out that there was an algae bloom and the pool was super chocked. (texsun even asked if it was a salt pool because of presence of salt, but this is a Chlorine pool and always has been to my knowledge).

Here we are on 10/24 and the chlorine level still hasn't gone down.

So I bought a Taylor test kit, and have been struggling to comprehend everything (maybe I'm just dense), but I'm still open to having someone manage the chemistry for me.

Would you hire the previous technician if they let the pool get to where it is now?
    ~12k gallon, cartridge filter, IG, plaster, 2hp Pentair Whisperflo WF-28, 150gpm filter

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/HqaPq#0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner, previous tech let an algae bloom,rehire?

Welcome to TFP.

Which Taylor kit do you have?
    How do you normally chlorinate your pool? (tabs, Liquid, Etc?)
    If tabs, are there any in the feeder?

The short answer to hiring the pool guy is no. BUT, I wouldn't hire any pool guy! You're much better off learning to take care of your pool yourself.
    You have come to the right place to learn to do that, so you're off to a good start.

Let us know what kit you have and post a set of test results from it and we'll go from there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the warm welcome. I realize I need to add more details to my profile - I'll work on that today.

I have a Taylor K-2006 Complete (FAS-DPD chlorine) kit.

My pool has an inline tab feeder, and at the moment there are no tabs. After testing the water a week after I moved in, with chlorine levels being so high, I checked it and it was empty. I haven't added any yet.

The pool has visually remained gorgeous though, very clear. I know the chemistry is way off though.
    ~12k gallon, cartridge filter, IG, plaster, 2hp Pentair Whisperflo WF-28, 150gpm filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, casastevo

As Bama said, please post a full set of test results from your kit: FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, cya.

I too, wouldn't dream of paying someone for something that is very easy to do (using the methods taught on here)...and you already have the right tool (k-2006)!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum Stevo.

We can help you learn all you need to know and understand whatg is gong on in your pool. It can seem like a lot to learn, but if you take it slow and take small bites as you go, it really is quite simple. Free Chlorine, and pH are your two most important parameters to learn about and control first. Take a look at the ABC's of pool chemistry (link in my signature) and start there. Like the old addage walk before you crawl. None of were born knowing this stuff, so don't be overwhelmed with all the information out there, just take it in as you are comfortable. Ask questions, and let us know how we can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

So I'm in the middle of trying to find the FC, and this **** thing is already at 15ppm. (30 drops, using 10 mL sample) Should I just stop and say it's too high?

7. Back To Top    #7

No you shouldn't stop. Keep going until the sample turns clear no matter where that is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Here's where I'm at so far, but at another question:

26ppm FC
    .5ppm CC
    7.2ph

TA is now over 1400 and it's not turning red, keep going as well?

9. Back To Top    #9

For the TA, what size sample did you use and did add the R-0007 and the R-0008 before doing the R-0009 drops? What color did it turn before adding the R-0009?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

25mL sample size, and it turned light green when I added R-0008.

11. Back To Top    #11

It appears to me that something isn't right. Does it change color at all or stay green as you add the R-0009?

12. Back To Top    #12

Did it change color at all from green when adding the R-0009?

Linen beat me but we're asking the same question.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I can try it again if you guys want. I filled it to 25mL, added 2 drops of R-0007, nothing happened (expected). Then I added 5 drops of R-0008 and it turned a greenish color. (expected). So now I was at the point of adding the R-0009 expecting it to turn red, but it's just a yellow, pale color after 140 drops. Eeek. 140 drops.

14. Back To Top    #14

So it turned yellow? Then when it turned yellow is your TA. It is likely your high FC is causing the test to bleach out and indicate yellow instead of red. You can reduce this by adding more R-0007 at the beginning. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/exten...1.html#p206395

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks. I'll do it again but this time record drops of when it turn yellow. That was much, much earlier than 140 drops.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, keep adding drops until the last one cause no more change in color.

17. Back To Top    #17

Here are the results:

26ppm FC
    .5ppm CC
    7.2ph
    25 CA
    450 CH
    60 CYA

18. Back To Top    #18

The ph test is not valid at FC levels above 10 ppm. Have you adjusted ph while above 10 FC?

I assume "CA" above is TA? Then it is low. For now, I would adjust it up to 60 ppm using Baking soda, then allow your FC to drop below 10 ppm and recheck TA and ph. Use PooMath for your chemical addition calculations: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

19. Back To Top    #19

I haven't done any adjustments whatsoever. I did stock up on shock and chlorine tablets though, but haven't used anything.

Sorry about that, yes, CA should be TA. Thanks for the suggestion on it, I'll go out and buy some tomorrow. How long should it take for my FC levels to drop? It's been nearly over 3 weeks now with elevated levels since the super shock. Is that normal?

We haven't swam in it though, and even had a couple of crazy rain last week. I figured it'd drop then, but it hasn't.

What I reported isn't weird? My local Texsun pools gave me the impression that my pool was toxic.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by casastevo
    How long should it take for my FC levels to drop? It's been nearly over 3 weeks now with elevated levels since the super shock. Is that normal?
    Is the pool covered? If it is then take off the cover...this will allow what sunlight you are getting to help remove some of the chlorine. While you are waiting, I would perform a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT). See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test

Quote Originally Posted by casastevo
    What I reported isn't weird? My local Texsun pools gave me the impression that my pool was toxic.
    Well 26 ppm FC at your cya level (60 ppm) is equivalent to about 1 ppm FC at 0 cya in terms of the "disinfecting chlorine" level. 1 ppm with 0 cya would be common in a public swimming pool. Most pool stores are clueless about the chlorine/cya relationship. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_chemistry and http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ya_chart_shock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast