Freezing Pipes

Jun 24, 2013
I'm getting ready to close my pool for the season, and I'm wondering how much I need to worry about freezing pipes (underground). On average, the coldest temp at night will be 26 degrees, and looking at historical soil temps for my area, 2 feet down, it nearly always stays above freezing during the winter months.

If I do my best to empty the pipes, and seal them off, do you think that will suffice? I'm trying to avoid the cost of the anti-freeze if I don't really need it.

Thanks,
Michaell

raterus said:
I'm getting ready to close my pool for the season, and I'm wondering how much I need to worry about freezing pipes (underground). On average, the coldest temp at night will be 26 degrees, and looking at historical soil temps for my area, 2 feet down, it nearly always stays above freezing during the winter months.
Sounds similar to my conditions. I do not close the pool nor do I empty the pad equipment nor do I use freeze protection. We get down to the mid 20s but it is never for more than about 8 hours. I have found that it takes much colder temperatures for much longer time periods to freeze pipes solid let alone any of the equipment.

I'm going to try my best to blow out the lines (with an air compressor), but I'm sure I won't get all the water. My hope is to get most of it out, and leave enough air in the pipes the ice would have somewhere to go if it ever did freeze. From what I saw about soil temps in my area, I'm not too worried it'll ever be cold long enough to do much of anything.

In case anyone is interested, I found historical soil temps for my area on this site (USA only) http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/scan/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.