Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Shop Vac to remove water from winter cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Shop Vac to remove water from winter cover

The search returned way too many results that were all about blowing out lines for winterizing. My question is, can I use a Shop Vac to take the standing rain water off of my Winter cover? My wife came up with the idea and I can't think of a reason why it wont work, but I could be missing something.

~Arny
    27' Round, 16,500 gal, AG, installed July 12, 2013.
    Splapool 1HP pump, Distinction 20" sand filter 200 lbs, Feherguard solar cover & reel.
    Titan III Heat Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Shop Vac to remove water from winter cover

You can, and I've done it as well. You're just limited by the size of the tank. In your pool, 0.5" of depth is 175 gallons. You just have to be willing to do a lot of vacuuming and emptying. You may find the using an old piece of hose and creating a siphon may work better.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a hose to siphon the water off ours. If it were me, I'd use the shop vac to start the siphon and let it naturally siphon after that. That, of course, assumes that your pool isn't buried and there's enough slope for a siphon to work.

I use a trick to get the siphon started each time in our pool. Once I get the siphon started, I lay the end of the hose up on an 8" block and let it siphon until it breaks the siphon. That way there is a good bit of water left in the hose and all I have to do to get the siphon started next time is lay the end of the hose on the ground and it self starts. Once it starts, I lay the end back up on the block. There's the added benefit of being able to see if the hose is siphoning from a distance also.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I use a trick to get the siphon started each time in our pool. Once I get the siphon started, I lay the end of the hose up on an 8" block and let it siphon until it breaks the siphon. That way there is a good bit of water left in the hose and all I have to do to get the siphon started next time is lay the end of the hose on the ground and it self starts. Once it starts, I lay the end back up on the block.
    I am not following bama...where is the block placed? On the rail?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think for this to work the block has to be placed in Alabama

~Arny
    27' Round, 16,500 gal, AG, installed July 12, 2013.
    Splapool 1HP pump, Distinction 20" sand filter 200 lbs, Feherguard solar cover & reel.
    Titan III Heat Pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I am not following bama...where is the block placed? On the rail?
    On the ground. Leave the hose 8" off the ground and it won't drain completely so it will be easier to start next time.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Both Arny and JT are correct!

It works best in LA (lower Alabama) where it doesn't freeze for days on end. And by raising the end up 8" off the ground, the hose won't completely empty, so it's easy to start the siphon again.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I get it now ...Alabamians, to smart for there own good
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.