Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heavy Calcium Deposits

1. Back To Top    #1

Heavy Calcium Deposits

[attachment=1:1sasxgha]Calcium 1.jpg[/attachment:1sasxgha]
    [attachment=0:1sasxgha]Calcium 2.jpg[/attachment:1sasxgha]

I am having a great deal of issues with calcium buildup in my Interllichlor as you can see from these pictures. It looks like this after approximately 1-2 months. I go through a process of soaking it in a muriatic acid and water solution. It usually takes about 5 soakings of 30 minutes each in order to get most of it out. How do I go about reducing the hard water in my pool? I can't empty the water out because where I live, our water is already hard, so I would just end up putting hard water right back into the pool! And being that it is a salt water pool, I would figure the salt would help. Obviously it does not.

Furthermore, I have flakes floating around in my pool. I only assume this is just calcium flakes coming off the Intellichlor. These flakes puddle up at the bottom of my pool and make it look like there is sand at the bottom.

Any natural suggestions on how to eliminate this mess?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nearly done self installing:
    Viking "St Thomas" in-ground 13,700 gallon fiberglass pool (14' x 32' x 7') / Pentair VS-3050 pump / Pentair Clean & Clear 420 sq ft Cartridge filter / Pentair EasyTouch 8 automated system / Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG / Pentair Kreepy Krauly SandShark suction side cleaner / Pentair Intellibrite LED pool light / Jandy deck jets (x5)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Heavy Calcium Deposits

That build up is due to the water chemistry. Therefore, you know we will need to see your full test results in order to suggest a path forward. While you may not be able to stop it, you may be able to slow it down.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Heavy Calcium Deposits

Quote Originally Posted by QCJLo
    I would figure the salt would help. Obviously it does not.
    Salt has minimal effect on the Calcite Saturation Index (CSI) which is an index of likelihood for scaling in a pool. Many folks assume that since they use salt in their water softeners, that adding salt to a pool would work similarly. In fact, the salt in a water softener does not directly remove hardness, but rather is used to exchange minerals for sodium ions in the water softeners resin.

As jbliz said, post a full set of test results and we should be able to help.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.