Heavy Calcium Deposits

QCJLo

Jun 30, 2009
[attachment=1:1sasxgha]Calcium 1.jpg[/attachment:1sasxgha]
[attachment=0:1sasxgha]Calcium 2.jpg[/attachment:1sasxgha]

I am having a great deal of issues with calcium buildup in my Interllichlor as you can see from these pictures. It looks like this after approximately 1-2 months. I go through a process of soaking it in a muriatic acid and water solution. It usually takes about 5 soakings of 30 minutes each in order to get most of it out. How do I go about reducing the hard water in my pool? I can't empty the water out because where I live, our water is already hard, so I would just end up putting hard water right back into the pool! And being that it is a salt water pool, I would figure the salt would help. Obviously it does not.

Furthermore, I have flakes floating around in my pool. I only assume this is just calcium flakes coming off the Intellichlor. These flakes puddle up at the bottom of my pool and make it look like there is sand at the bottom.

Any natural suggestions on how to eliminate this mess?

Attachments

• Calcium 1.jpg
    Calcium 1.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Calcium 2.jpg
    Calcium 2.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 76
That build up is due to the water chemistry. Therefore, you know we will need to see your full test results in order to suggest a path forward. While you may not be able to stop it, you may be able to slow it down.

QCJLo said:
I would figure the salt would help. Obviously it does not.
Salt has minimal effect on the Calcite Saturation Index (CSI) which is an index of likelihood for scaling in a pool. Many folks assume that since they use salt in their water softeners, that adding salt to a pool would work similarly. In fact, the salt in a water softener does not directly remove hardness, but rather is used to exchange minerals for sodium ions in the water softeners resin.

As jbliz said, post a full set of test results and we should be able to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.