Cleaner pump not working

Flippy

Jan 8, 2011
Richmond, Texas
I just noticed that my cleaner pump is not working. I can hear it try to kick on for a few seconds but it never comes on fully. After a few seconds it just stops humming. I disabled it from the automation, but what should I check? Capacitor? Bering? Thanks in advance!

The back of the pump has a cap that you can remove to access the end of the shaft. Remove the cap and try to turn the shaft. Make sure that the pump cannot turn on while testing.

If you are willing to take a chance, just replace that capacitor with and identical one (read values off the unit). I'd give it a 70% chance that will fix it.
A starter switch is a mechanical switch that operates off the shaft. If it is on the back, you would see it. If it is deeper behind the plate, it gets a little more involved. A picture of the back of the pump motor might provide a clearer picture.

Here is my take: If.... when you power it up, the motor just hums and doesn't turn, it is likely the capacitor. If it turns a little, it might be another problem. Of course, all asumes the shaft spins freely which you said it does. If you attempt the capacitor replacement, make sure the breaker is off and short out the terminals to discharge any residual power on the capacitor terminals. Sometimes they store energy a while and you can get a jolt if you get your fingers across the terminals.

I pulled out the capacitor and will take it to the electric supply house tomorrow and have them test it. Hopefully this is a easy fix. I think the starter switch is way deeper in the pump. There is nothing on the back of the pump except the shaft and the capacitor. Thanks for your help and I will report back tomorrow.

is this a 230v motor? If so, is 230v getting to the motor? Each leg (black and white or red) should have about 120v on them. Is the green or bare copper wire connected to motor's green screw? Is the green or bare copper bonding wire connected to the outside of the motor? This is different and separate from the pigtail wire from the timer or disconnect panel. Is the breaker good? Is it a double pole breaker or 2 single pole? (I have seen it!) A 230v motor will hum and not start if it's not getting 230v. The capacitor you had tested is the start cap? sometimes there are start and run caps on a motor, not usual, but just in case. If the shaft spins free with very little resistance, then I would take the motor to an electric motor shop and see if they can fix/replace it. Good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is 230 and I checked the power source at the motor. Both green ground wire and outside look good. No run cap on the outside just the starter cap.. The shaft spins with some resistance but I wouldn't say freely. If I use a screw driver on the end it spins easily. I am really not sure how easily it should spin. At the end of the day it may just be cheaper to buy a new booster pump. It has been one thing after another this year at my house. I just need 6 months of no issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.