Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar install couple quick questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar install couple quick questions

Ok so i purchased a sunheater brand solar array. The instructions show a horizontal install. Would it be more efficient to install the panels vertically?
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar install couple quick questions

What is the size? Where are you installing it? How is the water routed through the panel (inlet and outlet on opposite ends or the same end)?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is a 4 panel 2'x20' 1 1/2" headers full flow through designed to be plumbed any and every possible way. I am installing it on my south faceing roof full sun 10 hrs a day. My only question is would it make it more efficient vertical as opposed to horizontal? (Any tips from previous installs are always welcomed and appreciated)
    Nathan

4. Back To Top    #4

In your location, horizontal is more efficient because during the day in the summer, the sun spends more time above 45 degree elevation than below.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

How steep is the roof?

Ideally you want to run one direction through all the tubes in parallel, not one way in some and then back in others.

I have no experience with the 20' panels, but have seen some pictures where they sag when horizontal on steeper roofs. Whether horizontal or vertical should not really affect the efficiency.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Its a 4/12 pitch and the sag was part of my concern also
    Nathan

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Whether horizontal or vertical should not really affect the efficiency.
    ??
    The incident angle of the sun greatly affects the efficiency of the panels. Normal incidence has maximum heat transfer. Tangential incidence had minimum heat transfer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

*clarification by vertical or horizontal i refer to accross the roof from side to side or down the roof from bottom to top*
    Nathan

9. Back To Top    #9

Mark, I suspect they have little need for solar heat in mid summer in central FL, instead the peak solar incident angle for fall / winter is probably a bigger issue.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
    *clarification by vertical or horizontal i refer to accross the roof from side to side or down the roof from bottom to top*
    Ok, sorry, the original post made no mention of a roof install. Then I agree, there will be little difference in efficiency.
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

Somewhere I have read (maybe in my install manual) that the 2X20 panels should not be installed vertically due to their construction and the potential weight of the panel once filled with water. I will poke around and see if I can find it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the responses guys I appreciate your feedback.
    Nathan