Putting in a SWG early next week...

One more question. Haha.

Can I go ahead and add the salt to the pool now, or should I wait until the SWG system is installed next week? It's just taking up a bunch of space in my garage and we're having a Halloween party this weekend. :)

Will it hurt anything to have 3400ppm of salt in the pool w/o a SWG? We DO plan on using the hot tub over the weekend too...

I figure that it will also give me a chance to get the CSI and everything right over the weekend if it won't hurt anything to throw it in now.

No reason you can't put it in now. You may want to save a little for the hot tubing, my kids love playing with it as it disssolves. Someone on here coined the phrase "Diamond Day" for the day when they add salt.

You want to pour it in the shallow end. Pour a bag at a time and brush it around to help it dissolve. It is much easier to brush in the shallow end than the deep end. If you have a shallow reef, that will the best spot to add it.

They call them different things in different parts of the country, in So Cal they call them a Baja Reef. It is a very shallow portion of the pool that is usually between 4"-18" in depth that is used as a lounging area in the pool.

I just pour my salt as I walk all around the pool it is usually mostly dissolved by the time I complete the lap.
Or I pour it all in a pile or on my kids heads for them to play with. There is no hurry in getting it dissolved.

OK. I've got a spot in my pool that's like 4" deep. I think my PB called in a tanning area.

It's pretty cold here in TX right now, so I won't be able to turn the kids loose to stir it up - gotta use the brush. The water is Dang cold too, 59ish.

Speaking of cold (and this is off subject), I needed to add some washing soda to the pool today to get the pH up, and usually when I do it clouds up the water but this time it didn't. Is it because it's super cold and it only gets cloudy because the water is warm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lithium406 said:
Speaking of cold (and this is off subject), I needed to add some washing soda to the pool today to get the pH up, and usually when I do it clouds up the water but this time it didn't.
Don't do that if you are installing a swg soon since washing soda raises TA quite a bit. You want TA between 60-80 ppm for the swg. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator If your ph drops below 7.0 before you get the swg up and running, I would use borax to raise ph (it raises TA less).

I'm on the high end of that range right now, but I will definitely keep that in mind. I already added the washing soda, so it's already done. :(

I checked TA right before I added it and it was between 70-80, so worst case scenario my TA is at 90 now - or very close to it. Will that mess things up? According to the calculator, my CSI is still in line with 7.8, 90 TA, 350 CH, 70 CYA and 3400 Salt @ 60* water temp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.