Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Help!

We live in Indiana and need to close our pool. Since the kids have been in school, it has definitely been neglected Here are my numbers today. We have a 30,000 gal inground pool with vinyl liner. What should we do to get my numbers back in shape so that the pool can be closed for the season? We use the BBB method.

FC 0
    CC 0
    pH 7.4
    TA 200
    CYA 20
    13x23 ProSeries AG Pool
    SandPro .5Hp Filter System
    AquaPro Pro 500 50k Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Help!

I'd just close it. Winter is long enough that it doesn't really matter what your chlorine level is. I generally don't close mine until the first of November, but I will probably close it as soon as the wind lays down enough to get it clear of leaves since it's colder than normal.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm just curious since I've only lived down here John. Do you guys just keep the stuff out or cover it, then open up to varying degress of green?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Do you guys just keep the stuff out or cover it, then open up to varying degress of green?
    I don't open to green.

Once my water temp appears to be droping past the point of no return or hope of an "Indian summer", I get the leaves out, put my fine mesh cover on taut. When the temp drops to consistently below 55F (usually is already there or there quickly at this point), I then raise to SLAM level for a day or two. Once I have determined that I am passing the OCLT, I then drain down below the skimmer and winterize pipes and equipment. Before the first major snow, I release the tension on my cover and allow it to rest on the water (or ice) surface. In the spring once the cover is free from the ice and there is a low threat of more snow, I pull my cover taut again, getting whatever debris is on the cover out of the water and let it dry so that the wind or my pool brush can remove it. When the water temp starts staying above ~55F, I open.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    I'm just curious since I've only lived down here John. Do you guys just keep the stuff out or cover it, then open up to varying degress of green?
    I cover it. Too many leaves to think about leaving it uncovered.

Usually there is some green around the edges when I open, but I can usually see the bottom until I start vacuuming. Mostly dirt in the pool from the winter.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

I see, thank you both for the input. I'm just learning what people do with "winter" pools. Our winters aren't hard enough to prevent algae growth here.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem