Please Help!

May 25, 2012
We live in Indiana and need to close our pool. Since the kids have been in school, it has definitely been neglected :? Here are my numbers today. We have a 30,000 gal inground pool with vinyl liner. What should we do to get my numbers back in shape so that the pool can be closed for the season? We use the BBB method.

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 200
CYA 20

I'd just close it. Winter is long enough that it doesn't really matter what your chlorine level is. I generally don't close mine until the first of November, but I will probably close it as soon as the wind lays down enough to get it clear of leaves since it's colder than normal.

Brushpup said:
Do you guys just keep the stuff out or cover it, then open up to varying degress of green?
I don't open to green.

Once my water temp appears to be droping past the point of no return or hope of an "Indian summer", I get the leaves out, put my fine mesh cover on taut. When the temp drops to consistently below 55F (usually is already there or there quickly at this point), I then raise to SLAM level for a day or two. Once I have determined that I am passing the OCLT, I then drain down below the skimmer and winterize pipes and equipment. Before the first major snow, I release the tension on my cover and allow it to rest on the water (or ice) surface. In the spring once the cover is free from the ice and there is a low threat of more snow, I pull my cover taut again, getting whatever debris is on the cover out of the water and let it dry so that the wind or my pool brush can remove it. When the water temp starts staying above ~55F, I open.

Brushpup said:
I'm just curious since I've only lived down here John. Do you guys just keep the stuff out or cover it, then open up to varying degress of green?

I cover it. Too many leaves to think about leaving it uncovered.

Usually there is some green around the edges when I open, but I can usually see the bottom until I start vacuuming. Mostly dirt in the pool from the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.